Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Adventure Bike Riding Gear

Adventure Bike Riding Gear 26 Dec 2022 16:40 #36229

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
What sort of adventure bike riding gear do you wear? Did you buy it on price, looks, protection? When following discussions on social media about purchasing gear its usually based around price and value for money, comfort and waterproofing. TheDririder/RST/Motodry users usually deride the Revit/Klim/Rukka users and vice versa. Not much about safety. Because adventure riding involves some time spent on roads, we need good protection from sliding down the road, thats why MX/ enduro gear does not cut it.

There is a EU safety standard CE rating that is useful to gauge the safety of motorcycle garments and armour.  If you understand it.

Since 2018 there had been a EU standard in place that cover garments and armour. Garments are classed as AAA/AA/A and B/C. AAA is the highest standard and covers full racing leathers. Most textile gear can't meet this standard except the Kim Badlands Po A3 suit. Next is AA, most high end riding gear meets this. Lower end gear is A. B covers abrasion only, eg kevlar jeans with no armour. C covers apparel with no abrasion but armour eg. pressure suit type gear.

Armour has its own seperate standard, Level 1 and Level 2. Level 2 is the highest rating and almost offers twice the impact protection of level 1 armour. 

So what does that all mean? For adventure riding, one should look for AA rating for the garment, and level 2 armour rating. The drawback is the higher rated gear will be heavier. Look for labels that state "CE certified" This means the garment has been independently  tested to meet CE standards. CE approved means parts of the garments have been tested, you need to research exactly which parts have been tested.  CE tested is best avoided, as most likely it has not been independently tested.

I took a bit of a look at some of the more popular adventure jackets available to see what ratings they are.

Motodry  Rallye2 $319, no rating for garment, vague "CE shoulders elbow protection" No rating and looks like the back protector is non CE rated.

Dririder Rallycross3 $399, pretty much the same as above.

RST Adventure 3 $349,  no garment rating , "CE approved shoulder, back elbow armour"

RST Adventure X Pro $599, AA, CE level 2 back, shoulder, elbow rated armour.

Alpinestars Andes V3 Drystar $454, , A, CE level 2 back protector, CE level 1 shoulders/ elbow

Revit Sand 4 $849, no garment rating I could find, CE level 2 shoulder/ elbow. L2vel 2 back protector optional.

Revit GTX $969 A rated, Level 2 elbow/ shoulder, optional level 2 back protector

KlimBaja S4 $999 AA rated, Level 1 back, shoulder, elbow armour.

Klim Carlsbad $1007 AA rated, CE level 2 back, shoulder, elbow armour

Klim Badlands Pro $1777 AA rated, CE level 2 back, shoulder, elbow armour

Klim Badland Pro A3 $2063 AAA rated, CE level 2 back, shoulder, elbow armour

As you can see you really have to spend $450 to get something that will protect you properly. The lower end jackets where vague about there rating, while the high end AA rated ones where to the point about their rating. To get into a AA jacket you need to spend around $800 plus. . Stand out is the Klim Badlands Pro A3, the only AAA rated textile garment available (at an eye watering price) and the Klim Baja S4, a ventilated summer jacket with AA rating.

So when shopping for adventure riding gear keep in mind the safety standard ratings.
Last Edit: 26 Dec 2022 16:42 by Dirtpilot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serge C, Damian K

Adventure Bike Riding Gear 29 Dec 2022 19:04 #36230

• Damian K
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Pat. Good info. Some of the more expensive items are also waterproof 3 layer Gortex. 

Adventure Bike Riding Gear 03 Jan 2023 08:17 #36234

• dennisd
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I’m very happy with my Klim Carlsbad jacket and pants. Yes expensive but very comfortable and waterproof as proven on the last ride I did with Pat. I think it was money well spent!
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds