Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tassie

Tassie 25 Mar 2020 22:27 #32046

• dennisd
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Great report, thanks Serge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tassie 27 Mar 2020 20:04 #32050

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
So after 8 weeks in Tazzie with Helen, 2 weeks B&B in the VT Calais, loved that car, and then 6 weeks with the caravan where I was constantly saying "wheres my bike Helen" I was finally heading to Twisty ville with a bike - Yee Haa.

Up the Beach road working hard to keep to the 50 and 40 speed limits I was excited and had plenty of time. Unbeknown to me I had miss read the info and was in fact 1hr late. There were a few missed calls on the phone "where the fark are you" oops sorry boys. Anyway all good, the queues had gone and it was down the slippery wet steel ramp to secure the bikes. They tie em up, we let em go in Tazzie.

I was tempted to buy a vegie pizza and was dissapointed it was only warm, back we went for 20 sec in the micro please, no - in the bin she went and another was cooked. Bit waste full me thinks but thems the rules they said. The next one was hot, I could tell by the burnt topping - Fark. 

The bed was rolling a bit as we went thru the heads but not that bad that an anti- nausia tab could not control. A good sleep until the 4.45 alarm went off. Down to the bikes and we were ready.

First impressions, good no rain, look at all that lush green grass and how many heads of cattle are here, should be "the cattle isle"

Geoff was taking us to a pre visited good brekky place and we were getting hungry. About an hour and a half he said. Yum we said. We pulled up at a likely looking place and started to head to the plates when Geoff said "hang on, this ain't it" and we executed our first U turn. 

The good breky place was good, excellent tucker and excellent views outside and inside, should those black tights over G strings be banned in eating establishments?

We travelled on thru lovely country with Geoff and his GPS leading the way. Eventually our first bit of dirt road. They warned me there would be some. Got to get your monies worth out of the adventure bikes I spose. The loaded Yamaha Tracer felt OK as I kept up with the group. Then we stopped as Geoff checked the GPS this time with glasses on, we then executed our second U turn. No probs, any ride is a good ride.

At about 4 in the afternoon I was starting to feel tired and realised we had been out of bed for about 11 hours and had about 350ks up. No wonder.

We finally got to our first digs and went shopping for food and drinks. Serge cooked us a bonza pasta dish which complemented the reds very well.

As soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep.
It's just more time to be flat out!

Tassie 27 Mar 2020 20:12 #32051

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Ian Robinson wrote:
Serge C wrote:
Day 2:

Some blokes seem to carry way too much gear, including passengers!

Those guys are doing a 12 month around Australia trip. All camping.

He should get his stop light fixed (and it wasn't a BMW) That guy stuck in the luggage would be spewin :(

Tassie 29 Mar 2020 13:05 #32052

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Tassie 29 Mar 2020 20:27 #32062

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Forgot to mention on the first night while the others went shopping, Damien and I spent some time on his recalcitrant fuse blowing BMW trying to get the indicators and stop light working. Lots of bits dis-connected and re-connected, wires parted and peered under - Hmmm.

Finally something changed - we could now blow a 10amp fuse quicker than a 7.5amp fuse - Fark! We decided to quit while we were still behind ;)

So day 2 for the four started for me with a walk along the beach. Just like being on holiday i thought. When I got back the African twins had arrived. I met Tony and said G'Day to the Loose Cannon.

Geoff and his trusty GPS plus notes led the team away agian.

Pete rode his africa Twin like he was on a dirt bike, a Brapp here, a Blatt there, good fun to be around but sometimes a bit nervy - where the hell is he now. A steady throttle is not on Petes itinerary and his rorty good sounding exhaust note confirmed.

Serge's exhaust note was nice and fruity as well, when they were nearby my Acropovic was a bit of a waste of money.

Stanley and the Nut rocky outcrop had some good memories for me with Helen. We spent a week free camping on the beach at the base of the Nut, really good memories.

We were there at the outbreak of the GFC and were treated to a coach load of glum Yanks stuck on a pre paid holiday they could not get out of. They knew they were going back to gloom and doom. Helen and I had a good laugh for them.

So on to the North West corner of The Cattle Isle and the wind farm. Tick the box and head back down the same quiet road. Pete, Tony and i decided to test the wind efficancy of our bikes with bags. Top gear acceleration was down a bit on the Tracer and there was a bit of a shimmy developing as we rolled off the throttles. So that's why there's a sticker inside the panniers saying "Do not exceed 1@0 with panniers fitted" Point taken - but had to test.  

The farmers here about's were keen to make sure visitors were "immersed" in the vibe of The Cattle isle and had provided a free cattle poo spray. Most of the spray went on the paddock but we all got to share. Lovely, so thought full.

Food and drinks shopping with Damien's and Tony's soft pannier bags being very co-operative accepting extras by just un-rolling the top, filling and rolling back down to seal. Good gear.

Pete and crew rustled up some decent burgers to soak up some red and after another 400 plus day the bed felt good.
Last Edit: 30 Mar 2020 08:58 by Ken R.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serge C

Tassie 31 Mar 2020 08:37 #32079

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
From Pete's camera:

Tony photo-bombing.

Tony and bikes at Lauderdale.

Lunch (I forget where)

Pete and Tony ('s bikes) at Southport.

The ultimate riding sock!

Pete and Tony went fishing!

Ice cream at Coles bay.

Sad looking muffler!

Repair work.

More repair work.

"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Tassie 03 Apr 2020 09:52 #32106

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Back tracking to our 3rd day and after 2 nights in the same bed it was time to re-pack the bags - Fark! I'm sure it all went in before. How come it gets harder with practice, and I had thrown 1 pair of used undies away. 

The plan was to throw away 2 older pairs as they were nearly cactus, had a few options to pee out of, maybe the next packing will be easier with 2 pairs gone?

Each evening Geoff our feared leader would pour, oops, Geoff didn't drink that much, pore over a map and make pencil notes on his magic way points pad that was clipped to his handlebars. After a quick conflab the next days root was established. Geoff had been talking about useing some of the Targa roads on the trip and i for one was looking forward to em.

So off we went after another quick go at Damiens BMW following some You tube tips, still no go there.

The Targa roads were great and it's always pleasing for me to see all the back tyre used, well they were designed to be banked over wern't they, no good wasting money, like having a ADV bike and not getting it dirty.

Getting em dirty they did, pretty good on the Tracer though and I was appreciating those tall wide bars.

Another good day in the saddles with my arse surviving well thanks to the air Hawk pneumatic cushion.

And even though I was relegated to a fold out bed - as soon as my head hit the pillow -ZZZZZZZZ

Tassie 05 Apr 2020 10:32 #32121

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
What! another breakfast of hot cross buns, lucky I still had a banana in stock.

Packing was getting easier and we were all away behind Geoff on time, actually there was never a time, the 9 o'clock start was always "whenever." 

Some more good roads and scenery with Geoff an his Triumph with ADV tyres always setting an interesting pace. Damian also had his ADV tyres on and when in the mood got stuck into the corners.

Pete, Tony and Serge had refitted the original more road biased tyres to their bikes but Pete did not seem to be his usual self in the twisties. Tony was giving him some "taking a line" coaching but to no avail - until - - - 

We pulled up for some tucker out in the sticks and i was not hungry for fast food so wondered down to the local IGA. I got lucky buying the last banana in town plus some apples.

Off again down a long, but nice, bit of dirt road and arrived at our break spot on our dirty bikes to be greeted by the gleaming machines of the Hobart Vintage & Veteran bike club annual rally. So many Brough Superiors and Vincents, my mouth was watering. A big event with one Brough shipped in from the UK. It is the grotty looking one in the pics and the one, I was informed, that under favourable condition at auction would fetch $1million cus it was mostly original. I think I would be giving it a good clean and be happy with $900,000. Ah Well.

Finally to our nicest accomodation on the trip at Ellendale. The couple running the place had only been there 2 weeks and it was lovely. Plenty of room, log fire, great views and a pleasant walk along side the creek. Theres a pic of the lower cabin.

I visited Geoff in his and Damians upper cabin to find him once again poring over the map and making his notes. He had a wee glass of port for assistance, "help yourself" he said. Sure enough there was a carafe and glass for the taking.

I checked our cabin when i got back but could not find any port. Over dinner i mentioned to "mine hoste" about the port situation and when we got back to our cabin there was our carafe, what service.

PS - The names, places and sequence of events have been changed to incriminate as many people as possible.
Last Edit: 05 Apr 2020 10:47 by Ken R.

Tassie 05 Apr 2020 19:59 #32128

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
That's the trouble in it, never know if I'm just wasting my time or not - anybody out there??????
The following user(s) said Thank You: lefty

Tassie 05 Apr 2020 21:44 #32129

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Yes Ken, happily been reading it.
Brings back memories of doing the lap many years ago on a road registered YZ250J and in tents.
You guys had it easy with your huge gear racks and pre-booked accommodation!
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds