Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tassie

Tassie 10 Apr 2020 10:33 #32159

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
So it was with sadness that we were leaving the nicest digs of the trip, but not before a home cooked breakfast of egg and crispy bacon (thank you, as requested) on home made bread. Geoff had the right idea, after that huge tea he asked for his breakfast to be wrapped for later.

Mien hoste came to wave us farewell and we were away, hang on, wheres Geoff. He didn't want to leave either but eventually resumed his position as "Leader of The Pack" Who remembers that Mods and Rockers song?

I had been looking forward to this day as we were going to the Gordon Dam and I remembered enjoying that road in Helens VT Calais. Those V6 motors were very perky and with some decent Bendix brake pads and  set of Michelin tyres it was a car of joy. If you tickled the throttle nicely you could un-hook the torque convertor and have yourself a 5 speed gearbox, Ah the simple joys for Ken.

On the bikes it was great, plus the bonus of fantastic scenery. From tight twisties thru the trees to wide open sweepers, bloody speed limits, but we did our best.

The group got split up as we stopped to snap pics here and there, and when we got to the dam there was no Geoff and no phone reception - oops. So in true team spirit we started to look at the dam and hoped Geoff was OK.

Nobody took up the offer of abseiling down the dam wall, have to be dam silly we decided, having enough fun with our bikes, and eventually Geoff turned. Good.

Geoff had ducked into a ex dam works complex for a coffee, and because he was way ahead of the "snapping" pack there was nobody to stick on the corner, that was his excuse anyway.

So now we had the pleasure of zipping back down that lovely road. We decided a Coffee at Geoff's place would be a good idea on the way out. Wow what a place, a fantastic view out over the lake and lovely views inside as well. (Glad we are looking after our back packers)

Tony was in the groove on the way back and was soon a speck in the distance, but still no sign of Pete even in the mirror, until - - - 

Finally into Hobart for the first time for me. Not bad me thinks.

Tonights digs were the most spacious, with 2 to each room I could make a more organised mess than i usually do and only lost my keys once.

We finally convinced Serge that we only had one day In Tazzie and the Mona gallery was put up for consideration.
Attachments:
It's just more time to be flat out!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tassie 17 Apr 2020 21:18 #32188

• Evo
Great reading Ken and Serge. Tassie is on my bucket list now. 

Tassie 18 Apr 2020 09:40 #32189

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
After a good nights sleep, no snoring from Geoff and no complaints from him, we popped into the local mini super market that came complete with a mini rest your aunt to fuel up for the day, lovely.

So lets go play in Hobart, the Africa twins had their own plans and Geoff, Serge, Onion and myself headed off to check out Mona's wall of vaginas.

Did'nt like being back in traffic but we were on a mission. The cost to get in to Mona was pleasantly reasonable, gotta love that pension card, suck it up boys ha ha.

All our riding gear was stored away in the cloak room and we were off. Not too crowded and we had a devise and map to show us around. The building itself is mostly underground and being a drafty on this job would have been very rewarding me thinks. The display areas were connected by stairs and tunnels with the tunnels being a display themselves, amazing. 

One tunnel was a large brightly lit orange tube with a narrow black walkway down the middle. At each end of the tube was an attendant with a sign that read "Do not step off the walkway, there is nothing there" Spoooky. Some people just turned around but your intrepid ADV riders were straight in. Of course I had to slide my foot to the edge and sure enough - nothing there, I loved it.

Poor Geoff was struggling a bit with this so called "Art" "I don't get it" he muttered on a few occasions. In one display Geoff sat on part of the exhibit thinking it was a seat and had to be ushered off it, ha ha Good on you Geoff, he was told he was not the first and would not be the last.

The display that really got me laughing was a pair of full size skeletons having a good bonking session complete with moans and grunts right up to a shared climax - they loved it and i walked away humming "Come together" by the Beatles.

But where oh where was the wall of Vaginas - What!!! it's gone - Oh well must be time to get some food then ;)
We missed out on the Wombat pie and settled for some healthy munga beans pie.

Back out into the sun and we had riding time to spare and the clouds had lifted off Mount Wellington, must be a twisty road up there, lets go.

The twisty road had a 40 kph speed limit and was littered with push bikes and touristy tin tops, Oh well, can't enjoy em all. Great view from the top even with a controlled burn happening on one side.

Back at base i went for another walk down the beach to move the pie thru the system a bit and then we retired to the pub for dinner. Serge had found a lovely red on the ship over (Something with Rocky or Stones in the name? help me Serge) and it was in stock at the pub. Twas a good night indeed even though Pete and Tony left early again? Hmmm?

On the way back to our rooms i decided to ask very loudly at Pete and Tonys door to "Keep the noise down please" and we wondered off to talk about our bikes again. Next thing the door I visited opened and a large angry man wrapped in a towel stood glaring at us. Oops - wrong door - I apologised profusely and the angry man eventually went back to bed.
Last Edit: 18 Apr 2020 09:42 by Ken R.

Tassie 26 Apr 2020 20:30 #32219

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Had a bit of a sleep in and, when eventually looking outside, the "angry mans" car had gone and all the bijks were still standing - Phew.

Another great brekky for the boys and i controlled myself with a banana and then the left overs from the boys - ha ha Pays to be patient - literally.

We headed off for our last nights stay in the Cattle Isle.

Some more good roads were led to by Mr Geoff and his trusty note pad. I knew the importance of that note pad, Geoffs device screen was a bit of a mess, i don't know what drove over it but it must have been really big.

Suddenly i noticed some unusual things happening in my mirrors. Whats this forcing it's way thru the pack as we headed down another great twisty bit of road. Finally - Pete's "until" moment had arrived, thru the tightest twisty road we had traversed he was off like a man possessed. Nobody was going to chase him down either, well done Pete.

We got stuck behind a few cars later and where previously we had been rather eager to skyth past, this time i was content to sit behind. The Hobart Vintage and Veteran club were riding towards us and it gave me more time to enjoy the sights and sounds of these great old bikes.

Tassie 01 May 2020 14:15 #32254

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Geoff advised we should leave early "what" cus it was going to be our first wet day in Tazzie. Oh well, not bad after 7 good days.
It was actually dry all morning as we enjoyed more fab Tazzie roads and scenery.

The lunch stop heralded the start of the rain. Geoff and I found a nice, quiet little cafe and the others went further afield?

Geoff beavered away at the pencilled notes to shorten the wet journey while I wondered how the pencil notes were going to survive the rain. BINGO - excuse me kind waiter - could we please have some glad wrap to cover this note pad - worked a treat.

Everybody got together at the bikes and water proof? gear was donned. Where's Serge - gone to get a screw - what - sorry 4 screws for his still collapsing muffler end cap.

Waiting - waiting - In the end it was long late for Pete and Tony, the were desperate not to miss the boat, they were talking about screws as well!!!!!?????

Finally Serge appeared and i think he had some screws (can't really remember) Off we go onto the wet roads. I was glad to have good road tyres and ABS on board as the rain and traffic got increasingly heavier.

Another stop for Serge's end cap at a Repco but no luck with screws but got some loctite. Fencing wire would have been good but there were no suitably positioned holes.

Eventually the Ship was in sight and we were on board with wet crutches to get the bikes tied down. Pete and Tony had arrived about 10minutes before us after leaving 1 hr earlier? Hmmmm

Damien and I were going to eat light before sailing with a small bar meal. Somehow we ended up in the eat all you can buffet and it was amazing. Because we were in (don't ask) the boys said just front up and get what you want. Eating light went out the port hole - it was amazing.

A great sleep for us all and then a big hold up while we waited for our turn to roll back into Vic. The bloke behind me on a Ducati Sport slept in and in his panic the bike would not start. Eventually it did and there was no way he was going to turn it off while we waited about 15 minutes. The pipes were glowing red.

Back down the beach road with those annoying push bike lights that are like disco strobes, so dangerous to see past, whinge whinge whinge.

THANKS HEAPS to Serge and Geoff for their organising and the rest of the boys for making it a very pleasant visit to the "Cattle" and "bends" Isle.

Put me down for the next one when the "madness" is over. Make it easy and just do it in reverse -YEE HAAAAA

Tassie 01 May 2020 17:34 #32255

• Geoff L
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks Ken & Serge for doing fantastic write ups about the trip.
Both of your eloquence in story writing is an art to be admired.
I may be able to plan a trip but I cant write about it.
It was a good adventure & everyone seemed to enjoy themselves but it seems aeons ago, look out springtime (post covid!!) when we will plan another one somewhere, probably around the fire ravaged areas
If you ask a stupid question you are a fool for a second. If you don't ask any questions then you are a fool forever!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serge C

Tassie 01 May 2020 21:20 #32256

• alex peacock
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
A few of us from around here were in tassie just after you we go over ther most years it’s amagical place could go again late August if anyone’s keen and we’re allowed

Tassie 01 May 2020 22:04 #32257

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
alex peacock wrote:
A few of us from around here were in tassie just after you we go over ther most years it’s amagical place could go again late August if anyone’s keen and we’re allowed

Keep us in the loop Alex

Tassie 02 May 2020 08:49 #32258

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Geoff L wrote:
Thanks Ken & Serge for doing fantastic write ups about the trip.
Both of your eloquence in story writing is an art to be admired.
I may be able to plan a trip but I cant write about it.
It was a good adventure & everyone seemed to enjoy themselves but it seems aeons ago, look out springtime (post covid!!) when we will plan another one somewhere, probably around the fire ravaged areas

Sounds like a plan forming Geoff :D
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds