Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: BMW R1150GS Adventure. Long term owners report.

BMW R1150GS Adventure. Long term owners report. 11 Apr 2015 21:43 #9478

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
I purchased a 1150 Adventure back in 2005. it was a 2002 model with ABS, pull alloy pannier kit, top box and tank bag. it also had a Leo Vince exhaust.  I have done about 20,000km since i got it (nowhere near enough) Its the bike that the boys used on the Long Way Round. 

What is it?

Its the Adventure version of the 1150 GS. Extras you get is a lower 1st gear ratio, longer travel suspension, 30 liter tank, higher screen, driving lights, headlight protector, front guard extension, crash bars, Continental TKC tyres, different seat and a bashplate. Optional aluminium panniers ($3500) mounted on heavy duty bolt racks were also available. 

The R1150's are a boxer twin with shaft drive and fuel injection. Also fitted with BMW's weird telelever front suspension. These bikes are heavy and big. Not suited to short people and not really suited for extreme off road. However they handle moderate tracks ok, very good for dirt roads and they are a great all round tourer. Comfortable riding position and good luggage options. BMW engines last a long time too. they also came with a great tool kit under the seat including air bottles and tubeless tyre repair kit.

Whats gone wrong and what to look out for?

Not much has gone wrong. The headlight protector fell off, i broke a headlight from a rock flicked up, the battery died a few years ago (lack of use) rear tyres dont last long. The plastic covers on the heads dissapear a bit too easily. The aftermarket exhaust landed me with a EPA notice last year. When buying second hand check the gearbox operation, crash damage and the oil level sight glass (they cloud over and can leak) The gearboxes are notchy even when new.

Used prices?

You can pick up a 1150 for well below $10,000 now days, making them good bang for your buck. The original owner of mine payed $27,000 back in 2002. 

Mods,

The bike already came with an aftermarket pipe which gets rid of the heavy muffler and cat. I fitted an oil cooler guard, got some Ballards foot peg wideners to fix the puny footpegs. I am still looking to fit a slightly higher screen as i get a bit of helmet buffeting.

Worst points,

Notchy box
Weight
Bulk
BMW parts prices
Footpegs off a PW50

Best points

Good value used
Comfortable
Nice engine
6 speed box
great luggage options
Attachments:
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2015 19:29 by Dirtpilot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

BMW R1150GS Adventure. Long term owners report. 21 Jul 2015 21:54 #11209

• Denis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Its German what do you expect did i mention the DR 650

BMW R1150GS Adventure. Long term owners report. 22 Jul 2015 13:14 #11217

• Evo
What rides have you done on your BMW Pat?

BMW R1150GS Adventure. Long term owners report. 23 Jul 2015 05:13 #11224

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
BMW safari from Sydney to Queensland was the biggest trip. Many day trips around high country main roads and lately i have been doing a bit of bicycle racing traffic control.
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds