Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Covid Projects

Covid Projects 12 Oct 2020 22:35 #33357

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Facebook followers will know that I've spent a bit (lot) of lock-down time building planters and plant stands out of old pallet timber.  Mostly for my missus and chillen.

But one other project I've been working on is bike and resto related.  When I was doing-up my DR200, I looked around for a speedo/dash combination.  The speedo I found was in great nick, but the pilot light case was cracked and I had to do a bit of a repair on it.  So i kept my eye out for another one,  hoping to find a good'un.  I came across 2 sets, but alas, neither of them were better than what I had, so I shelved them (until now).

Both cases were damaged, so I dismantled them, cleaned them and took some measurements.

I started by cutting a piece of PP, and glued it to the inside of the case.

Then, when this had set, I ran a sheet of fibre-glass on the outside of the case.

Then I sanded this back.

Then Bogged it.

https://i.imgur.com/DkJRO6v.jpg?1

Sanded this, then sprayed some filler over the it and sanded it again.  Followed up with primer and top coat to get a finished result.

The case has a 'textured' finish, and I lost part of that, but I'm not really concerned.  I'm just keeping this unit as a spare spare.  Coupled with a couple of speedos, I now have 2 functioning gauge sets (that I don't really need, but kept me busy for a couple of weekends).

So that's (some) of what I've been doing, anyone else getting up to anything interesting?
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2020 07:53 by Serge C.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Covid Projects 13 Oct 2020 11:31 #33358

• Geoff L
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Since I was a kid I've been playing with Mini's, Austin Healeys & MG's so when the opportunity came early on in  covid to buy a rolling chassis of an Austin Healey Sprite from a mate I did. It appeared to be ok but on further inspection it was full of rust so I have been slowly stripping it down & repairing it This is what I've been up to

More to follow
If you ask a stupid question you are a fool for a second. If you don't ask any questions then you are a fool forever!!

Covid Projects 13 Oct 2020 11:35 #33359

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Well, that's a bigger resto project than I'd ever tackle!

Good stuff.

And good post, COMPLETE WITH PICTURES!

I told you it was too hard to add pics to this site!
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Covid Projects 13 Oct 2020 12:22 #33360

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Well done U 2
It's just more time to be flat out!

Covid Projects 13 Oct 2020 14:06 #33361

• Geoff L
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
More rust found in floor & door hinges/"B"pillars

Passenger side floor

Passenger side door hinge mounting area. Drivers side was similar

Passenger side inner guard

All these areas had been covered up with fibreglass & bog & what's more the mate I bought it from had been club racing in this. If he had had a crash it would have disintegrated!!

Still more to come
If you ask a stupid question you are a fool for a second. If you don't ask any questions then you are a fool forever!!
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2020 14:11 by Geoff L.
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds