Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 07 Jun 2016 18:40 #16851

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
VERi are running the Hopetoun GP Vinduro again on the 28-29th June for pre-'85 Enduro bikes.

This is a must-do FUN event if you like playing in deep sand and riding at speed amongst scrubby trails.

Entry forms have been emailed out to VERi members and should be available soon on the VERi Vinduro website (if not already there) - let me know if you need a copy.

Here's a link to my report on last year's event: 2015 Hopetoun GP
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 07 Jun 2016 19:23 #16852

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Thanks for posting this up, Pete.

I won't be there (not only because I don't ride fast and I hate the sand), but I'll be sunning myself in Port Douglas.

Enjoy.  
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 27 Jun 2016 12:47 #17395

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
Hopetoun GP ride report

An early start on Saturday saw us leaving the gloomy grey weather of Melbourne and into clear blue skies once we passed the outer western districts. The trip near Woodend was especially interesting, with a number of cars speared off the road due to the black ice conditions on the Calder.

Reaching Hopetoun at around lunchtime, we checked into our cabin, grabbed a bite to eat, and then headed out to the dunes to give me a chance to practice a bit of sand riding. Although it had been 12 months since I’d last done any desert riding, the basic skills were still there, so I was happy to finish the session early and conserve my energy for the main event on Sunday.

Sunday morning was a bit cooler, with clouds keeping the sunshine subdued. The turnout for this Vinduro was down on numbers compared to last year, with only 31 entrants. Maybe it was the fact that school holidays had just started, or maybe that the Tallarook Vinduro had been run just a few weeks prior, but it was a bit sad to see the event as
undersubscribed as it was.

After the usual riders briefing, we lined up in groups of 3 under the GP banner waiting to be let loose.

It was a quick hoon through town, down a dirt road, and then out into the sand after a detour via a long drainage culvert. Riding the culvert is like being in a bob-sled run and is a real blast!

Continued next post....
Last Edit: 27 Jun 2016 13:02 by flipper.

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 27 Jun 2016 12:49 #17396

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
The course for this year had been shortened considerably(70kms down to 35kms), and more technical sections included to compensate. Whilst it added a different sort of challenge, I did miss having the high-speed open sand tracks though the scrub that were such a blast last year. There were still plenty of fast sections, but the TT didn’t really get to stretch its legs as well as it did last time.

Naturally, when you see a camera, you try to add a bit more flair into your riding for the photo...sometimes this doesn't work quite as expected...

The tighter tracks also had a heavier toll on fuel, and on rider fatigue. After 4 laps my arms were complaining, and my jerry can was empty, so it was time to call it a day. Then it was just the long haul back to Melbourne to contend with (thankfully with someone to share the driving). I think the dog enjoyed the weekend away as much as we did!

Thanks go to VERi for putting on such an awesome event. The course is completely different to anything else on the Vinduro calendar, and the sand is a real hoot to play in.

This last photo is courtesy of the VERi facebook page.
Last Edit: 27 Jun 2016 20:40 by flipper.

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 27 Jun 2016 15:20 #17398

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Great report and pic's flipper.!!
Just makes me want more sand time.
Al

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 27 Jun 2016 20:36 #17408

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Al

I'm looking forward to the day when I can actually try a modern bike in the sand - so far its all been on the TT600

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 28 Jun 2016 07:14 #17412

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Just get yourself a kato 200 flipper, perfect desert bike.  

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 28 Jun 2016 17:40 #17417

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Thanks for the report and pics, Pete.

31 entrants, that's a bit disappointing.

I've always been a bit scared of the combination of sand and PEs.  Run a bit richer, they say.  But all I see is destruction!

One day, maybe!

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 28 Jun 2016 18:23 #17419

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep, it was a bit sad considering the amount of organisation that something like this must take - I hope it picks up next year.

Plenty of two-strokes there Serge (although no Kato 200's), and I didn't hear of anyone having mechanical problems except for another TT600 that was doing the event.

Hopetoun GP - Desert Vinduro 28 Jun 2016 18:33 #17420

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
flipper wrote:

Plenty of two-strokes there Serge (although no Kato 200's)

"Well, there's your problem!"  

How long till the oldest Kato 200 will be eligible?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds