Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Off-Road Training and Courses

Off-Road Training and Courses 11 Feb 2014 08:51 #383

• SilverFox
  • Fresh Boarder
Is anyone aware of any facilities or other organisations or does the club run skills courses/training for new and intermediate level riders looking to sharpen their skills?
Regards
Terence
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Off-Road Training and Courses 11 Feb 2014 14:12 #399

• John T
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Brumm Brumm
  • Thank you received: 42
What skills do  you need to improve ?
The Daylesford  ride days where originally  used as a skill improvement / kids day but not many member took up the opportunity
so the idea sort of died.
If there was interest by member  I am sure we could arrange something as we have logs, down hill sections, jumps, erosion jumps ,
and the like all member have to do is ask,
 As I said before member don't seem to ask as there is a wealth of skills out there
but new member just don't  seem to ask. 

Off-Road Training and Courses 12 Feb 2014 07:45 #455

• nathanstott
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
John T wrote:
What skills do  you need to improve ?
The Daylesford  ride days where originally  used as a skill improvement / kids day but not many member took up the opportunity
so the idea sort of died.
If there was interest by member  I am sure we could arrange something as we have logs, down hill sections, jumps, erosion jumps ,
and the like all member have to do is ask,
 As I said before member don't seem to ask as there is a wealth of skills out there
but new member just don't  seem to ask. 

That's because no one wants to be taught to ride like a loose cannon!!

Off-Road Training and Courses 12 Feb 2014 09:06 #456

• SilverFox
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks John T, I'm definitely up for it.  Being new to the sport and not having much experience I was looking at some of the basics.  Things like:
[*] - Learning to lift, balance and manoeuvre a motorcycle in awkward situations.[/*][*] - Manoeuvring the motorcycle at slow speeds [/*][*] - Clutch control exercises.[/*][*] - Negotiating logs and rocks and handling different terrain[/*][*][/*][*][/*][*][/*][*] - Improved braking ability.[/*][*] - Ascending and descending hills safely and confidently.[/*][*] - Trail riding on gravel fire roads and dirt tracks.[/*][*] - Also basic motor cycle maintenance and off-road repairs, etc[/*][*]These types of courses appear to run over a weekend but none appear to be offered locally.  Seems to be a void in the market.  I would be prepared to pay for instruction for myself and my son, Denzel.
[/*]

Off-Road Training and Courses 17 Feb 2014 18:45 #666

• John T
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Brumm Brumm
  • Thank you received: 42
At the moment we are waiting for some administration issue's to be sorted  and the weather to cool down  a bit
Will post so as all is sorted
John T

Off-Road Training and Courses 18 Feb 2014 08:46 #683

• SilverFox
  • Fresh Boarder
That sounds promising.  Thank you John T

Off-Road Training and Courses 22 Feb 2014 13:04 #830

• apcave2
  • Fresh Boarder
Put my name down for any such course.
Alex

Off-Road Training and Courses 27 Feb 2014 11:31 #936

• Damian K
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
How to ride over logs:
As you approach the log, you should be in low gear,terrified, and standing up and teetering weak-kneed on the pegs.
A few milliseconds before you reach the log, roll your eyes up in your head (because you don’t really want to look), twist the throttle and pray the front wheel lifts.
Once the front end has pierced the log with a thunderous impact, and the rear wheel is about to shoot through in the breech as well,
shut the throttle and begin flapping your arms and legs. If you have done everything properly, you will well and truly launch yourself into a magnificent flying W, the trajectory of which will carry you well clear of the log and motorcycle.
Keep your eyes retracted in your head; if you look you will only tense up your body and land with the force of a mortar shell.

Taken from “Cycle” Oct 1977 and can be found on this AMTRA site in ABOUT US – HISTORY.  Well worth a read. I have always used this wise advise for my log crossings.  I can teach you this skill at an AMTRA training day. I also do river crossings and triple jumps with the same skill. Please bring spare bikes and you should have ambulance cover.
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014 13:12 by Serge C. Reason: Paragraphing

Off-Road Training and Courses 27 Feb 2014 12:55 #937

• craig525
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
:)
current ride 2012 ktm300exc gone but not forgotten heaps of orange
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014 12:55 by craig525.

Off-Road Training and Courses 27 Feb 2014 22:55 #948

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Pisser Damian, you forgot to mention to hold your breath whilst rolling your eyes up !!!

Gold..
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds