Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bobs Walk Report

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 07:48 #1005

• sandra bob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Do they come in pink? - YES THEY DO!!
  • Thank you received: 20
2014 walk
Do they come in pink? YES THEY DO!!
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014 07:54 by sandra bob. Reason: add text
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 08:35 #1006

• sandra bob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Do they come in pink? - YES THEY DO!!
  • Thank you received: 20
1401 walkers, 350 volunteers, $3.6 million raised and a fabulous way to see Melbourne.

My reason for this walk was for all the women I have known that have either fought or are still fighting the bitch called cancer but my most foremost reason is my Mum...who I lost too young in the year 2000. So this was dedicated to her:)

We were cut loose at 7.15 am Saturday morning to walk after arriving from the Motel we stayed at Friday night...was  great, we just dropped off our luggage to the volunteers and they had our bags in our assigned tents that night...so we didn't have to do anything....breakfast, lunch and dinner was all ready for us at the times it was needed....those volunteers do a great job...so a BIG shout out to them for starters.

We had a great walk on Saturday going through very pretty tree lined streets of Kew and then onto the main roads and trams going by...little coffee shops and side walk cafes and strangers in packs...cheering us on as we walked by....such a nice feeling.

We had pitstops about every 5 k's loaded with food and drink for us which was fabulous as well as the ever important port-a-loos :)

And yep...I found one in pink...:):)

The walk towards lunch was very exciting as we walked through Federation Square with people clapping and cheering.....very exilerating...but the best bit was walking past Peter Mac itself...the staff were out there to welcome us...and that was it for me....that lump I had in my throat just about choked me - so the tears just poured and a lovely lady from Peter Mac just wrapped me in her arms and hugged me so tight...and thanked me for walking....such an emotionl experience.....I don't think there was a dry eye anywhere...

Lunch....aahhhh...time to take off the runners and socks...the worst part was putting them back on....however I carried plenty of spare socks in my back pack.....a good idea!

The rest of the afternoon was great....we walked around the M.C.G - then along the Yarra....Melbourne really is great isn't it :)

Oh and we had cornermen...especially at the big main intersections...but Seano and I should volunteer next year, they were on motorbikes, but their helmets were decorated with PIGTAILS AND MOWHAWKS!.....W'ed fit right in Seano :)

My team had split up a bit as were all at different paces - the last 5 k's I shuttle bussed it back as my gammy hip was really starting to hurt..to the point where I don't think I as actually walking anymore.....it was more a swagger, minus the John Wayne legs and spurs lol....god it hurt....so straight to the  Physio Tent for me as I really wanted to walk again the next day I knew I had to preserve myself a bit...so he taped my lower back into a straight jacket form...then I plopped myself down in the yoga tent where she manipulated me and put ,me in positions I didn't know the human body were capable of,,,but it helped...heaps.

Dinner and bed was the order of the evening....I don't think anyone was up past 9.30.....

5.00 am Sunday....oh boy...here we go again...up and packed and in the breaky tent by 6.00.....a few sore and tired bodies wandering around...but a great determination to get the day going ...

I was still sore and a bit slower than a few of my group....so they set off at 6.45...some left later and I alternated between 5 k walk....then shuttle to next pitstop...then walk 5  then shuttle and so on....just to give me a chance to walk the finish line and not have to be carried over lol...

But wile on the the first shuttle I met some other injureds, including a 73 year old with - like me  -  gammy hip....so we stuck together for a while and walked slowly...then I caught up with a another couple from my original group for a while...then back to my second group for the walk over the finish line....so we walked slowly across it and were so grateful to have been able to do that.

I then found one of my original team who had bailed at the 10 k mark due to blistering....after about an hour 3 more of my original group came through....followed by the last 2 about 1/2 hour later....so between my 2 groups...lots of victories!!

The rest of the walkers came through as the afternoon went on...

Some with arms in slings....some in wheel chairs with legs braced up....some hobbled...some ran over....some came over the line solo...others in duo' s and some in big groups...other mustered up that last bit of energy and ran.....but no matter how you got over that line...you GOT over it...

Many people had their own personal stories and reasons for why they were  there to do this walk - mine.....

In memory of my Mum......Shirley Ann Brewis who passed away on April 19th 2000. Aged 53 - This was for you Mum...love you and still miss you so much xxxxxxxx

AMTRA- Thank you so much for your generosity and support to do this walk.....lots and lots of love Bob.....

Johnny, my very supportive hubby....Thank you xxxxxxx

Bobs ready to go dirt bikin now....bugger this walking caper when you have 2 wheels and a motor under ya :)

THANK YOU !!!!!!

Do they come in pink? YES THEY DO!!
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014 13:27 by sandra bob.

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 09:34 #1008

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 94
Well Done Bob!
The older I get, the slower I was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandra bob

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 13:24 #1011

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Great job Grasshopper.
Know how much the walk meant to ya and how I tried to stuff the tissue through the phone :-P
You should be proud of yourself.
Al, Shaz and Coop's
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014 13:42 by Al.

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 19:09 #1019

• John T
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Brumm Brumm
  • Thank you received: 42
good on ya Bob well done
mum would be proud

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 20:43 #1022

• SCHEVY
  • Fresh Boarder
  • "You Don't Really Want To Know....Do You?"
  • Thank you received: 1
Big congrats Bobby Girl on doing this for such a good cause.... Well Done :up:
...cheers Marls & Frog
"On A Steel Horse I Ride"

KTM 350-EXC 2012
Kawasaki 650 ER6-N 2013 (alias Angus)

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 21:48 #1024

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Wendy, you are forever marvelous.
Phil R.

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 21:54 #1025

• Tony H
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
G'onya Bob, top effort.

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 22:06 #1027

• boots
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Well done Bob, now get back on ya bike....:)
On ya bike....!

Bobs Walk Report 03 Mar 2014 22:11 #1028

• seano
  • Platinum Boarder
  • liv'n the moty life
  • Thank you received: 30
top effort bob,you rock   :up:
I just wanna ride me moty B)
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014 22:12 by seano.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds