Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Living the Past

Living the Past 16 Oct 2020 00:37 #33369

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Blood Hell, that Fred the scaffold builder, what a guy and still had time for a fag on the job.

The height of that straight up, no platforms ladder, Crikey.

I loved his description of other chimney scaffolding he had seen, like a bi plane had crashed into the chimney :)

At Pilkington Glass (now Varidian) in Greens Rd Dandenong, one of my jobs was inspecting the protective painting for critical installations on site.

The ladders and platforms for the chimney inspections was one. So once a year up the chimney ladders I went to inspect the condition of the  paint and the steel/connections beneath. The date was set on my chart so whatever the weather it was done. Had mostly lovely days with a view but when it was really windy that chimney used to bend a bit and i had to hang on to the mark up drawings (I kept a spare set in my pocket), and when it was raining it was nice to feel the warm coming off the bricks.

Another critical installation was the big onion down near the road. When the plant was built they could only secure one town water supply and two were needed.

If the one town water supply failed back up was needed.

The big water tank was built to supply enough  water and head to satisfy the need for emergency fire fighting and or cooling water for the furnace to enable a controlled shut down if needed without damage.

They now have two seperate town water supplies so the big onion is there as a landmark and is kept about half full to maintain some weight stability. 

It still needs to be maintained as rust can do nasty things to the integrity of steel structures.

Once a year up I went but a lot nicer being inside on ladders and platforms with no wind trying to blow me and the drawings away. 

Oh I used to be so fit, up up and away. The last part of the climb was vertically up thru the centre of the water tank itself where a trapdoor waited for me at the top.

This was when I put the drawing in my pocket and pulled my hat down firmly. The trap door was opened and I stepped out onto the top of the water tank not knowing how the wind would be. 

Now they will be wearing harnesses and ropes, but back then I just wondered around sensibly and made notes as required.

On a clear day the view was fab and the living was easy.
It's just more time to be flat out!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Living the Past 16 Oct 2020 15:21 #33370

• Tim D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 272
Ken R wrote:
Blood Hell, that Fred the scaffold builder, what a guy and still had time for a fag on the job.

How was he, climbing the main part of his ladders to the top and smoke in between his fingers and no fall restraint.
Those ladders, to me, looked like they were ready to pull off those chimneys at any moment!   

Saturday Night Trivia 17 Oct 2020 13:00 #33376

• Tim D
  • Administrator

Living the Past 17 Oct 2020 13:08 #33377

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Tim D wrote:
Ken R wrote:

How was he, climbing the main part of his ladders to the top and smoke in between his fingers and no fall restraint.
Those ladders, to me, looked like they were ready to pull off those chimneys at any moment!   

Yes that climb up the vertical wooded ladders was scarey to watch, good on him, I would trust his work, but would want to be lowered by chopper, sod that ladder climb. :)
It's just more time to be flat out!

Saturday Night Trivia 17 Oct 2020 19:25 #33379

• Jeff Grogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
lock on the murray?

Saturday Night Trivia 17 Oct 2020 19:39 #33380

• Tim D
  • Administrator
Saturday 17th Sept 2020

Q1. referring to the photo above, where is this place that's been visited by a few AMTRA rides?

Q2. what's next in the following sequence     Z,X,C

Q3. What day is it 93 days after a Tuesday?

Q4. When did the Dargo hotel open. in the 19th or 20th century?
Last Edit: 17 Oct 2020 19:43 by Tim D.

Saturday Night Trivia 17 Oct 2020 19:57 #33381

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
1. Lock 9, Murray River, Kulnine 

Saturday Night Trivia 17 Oct 2020 19:59 #33382

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
2. V

Living the Past 17 Oct 2020 20:01 #33383

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
A bit more on cars!
Attachments:

Saturday Night Trivia 17 Oct 2020 20:03 #33384

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
3. Thursday
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds