Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: adventure bikes

adventure bikes 25 Oct 2020 16:03 #33452

• calvin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi 
Brains trust ,just wanting some insight to the modern day adventure bikes as there are so many types nowdays.
Getting older now and finding the body none compliant the day after a big day on the 300 smoker.
last time I took a look at Adventure bikes they were still running points and leg starts (80,s).
have looked at the suzuki 650 Vstorms & a few BMw 700 & 800 as the second hand ones are in my price range.
does anyone know how reliable both bike are ( all the electric gizmos any greif) probably do 50% 50 hard top and gravel , one or two day rides with occational inter state trip  . 
I am of smaller stater so looking for lower seat high 890 or so  wanting bike that is light for an adventure bike .
Thanks for
Any feed back 
The administrator has disabled public write access.

adventure bikes 25 Oct 2020 20:12 #33453

• Jeff Grogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
Hi Calvin

If you dont get enough "issues" advice here try some of the FB pages specific to the models .

I bought the dr650 as i want to do a lot of fire trail , but i probably dont want to hit the hume for interstate on a single cylider.
(so weight around the 150 kg was what i was after ( and cheap and reliable) 

for me , from your list i would go the suzuki and i would not touch old or 2nd hand beemers  due to the garage costs when something goes wrong , but I havent owned either so this is just how i think.
( i read that a dash light fault cost $3000 to fix on a bmw ) 
everyone i know who has one absoluetly love them and havent told me of any problems 

My 2 cents worth 
cheers

adventure bikes 25 Oct 2020 20:20 #33454

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
From the list I would choose the Vstrom. I have seen another member ride one very well on easy tracks. They are easy to maintain and cheap to run and upgrade. Personally I am more than happy with my KLR650. (with a few mods)
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2020 20:20 by Ian Robinson.

adventure bikes 26 Oct 2020 07:33 #33456

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Second hand (or new) the V-strom is always a contender. Reliable, practical, cheap to run and repair.

I'm always a bit 'iffy' about second hand bikes, but that's just me.  I've not heard of any problems with second hand Beemers (and I've recently sold one!)  But if possible, I'd go new.

I bought a new 750 GS, one of the only 'larger' bikes I could touch the ground on.  Significantly heavier than my 650, but much more 'gizmos' to play with.

As Robbo said, there's always the KLR, but my God they're ugly!
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

adventure bikes 26 Oct 2020 08:35 #33457

• Geoff L
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
G'day Calvin
there's a new KTM 390 that looks ok & has had good reviews & is not too expensive.
All of them are heavy compared to a dirt bike but you dont notice it when you are riding only when you stop & try to maneuver it into a parking spot, try to turn it on a tight track or when you drop it!!
The Vstrom is more road orientated than the others but is capable on the tracks. Others are more dirt orientated but suffer a bit on the bitumen, so you need to determine what sort of riding you plan to do.
Ken R rode his Tracer900 around tassie with us earlier this year & basically had no issues on the dirt roads(not tracks) & that is predominantly a road bike.
To get to interesting areas to ride there is a lot of tarmac to cover
I've had my Triumph Tiger now for nearly 3 years & up until the start of covid, I was averaging 1000Km per month of which at least 60-70% was on bitumen
If you ask a stupid question you are a fool for a second. If you don't ask any questions then you are a fool forever!!
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020 08:45 by Geoff L.

adventure bikes 26 Oct 2020 17:13 #33458

• Damian K
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I recently changed from the BMW GS650 (old tech) to a KTM709 Adventure (rocket ship).  I love the 790, but it would be hand full on anything less than a reasonable track, and that power just doesn't get to the ground on dirt.
Have a look at the KTM 390 Adventure. Light and <$9K. Peter (the loose cannon) just bought one and loves it.  I think its a 2 year warranty. Single cylinder. Often less is more.

adventure bikes 26 Oct 2020 17:27 #33459

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Just tuppence worth for the discussion.    Most of my overseas rides were on bmw's.  From the hirers point of view they were the best choice for cost and reliability.
I feel a bitt envious,
Phil R.

adventure bikes 26 Oct 2020 17:55 #33460

• calvin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
thanks to all for your opinions , 

adventure bikes 31 Oct 2020 23:07 #33502

• Peter R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Calvin
I've had the Africa Twin for nearly 3 years now and love it, but decided to get something a bit lighter for those 1 & 2 Day rides,  so I brought a KTM 390 ADV a few weeks ago. Now I love the Africa Twin but the 390 puts a smile on ya Dial like you wouldn't believe, it's so easy to ride and round about 90 Kg's less than the Africa Twin.
Go and have a test ride on a few bikes, but make sure you take a 390 for a test ride !!

Happy ADV bike hunting.
Pete
Last Edit: 04 Nov 2020 18:35 by Peter R.

adventure bikes 03 Nov 2020 21:30 #33510

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
Whats the budget? No point in giving advice if we don't know what you want to spend. 
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds