Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Introducing Suzan

Introducing Suzan 26 Jan 2015 09:49 #7582

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Zeb Colic wrote:
Ken R wrote:
You young-uns are PUSSY'S, we rode em when they were fire breathing, evil handling, and weak braking but we loved em like they were cus we new no better and they were the best you could get, so leave em alone and be scared. :shock:

Hi Ken a serious question for ya did you guys have much in the way of aftermarket bits and pieces back in the day or was it all factory rider only accessible stuff .

very little was available. If you rode a popular bike then maybe an aftermarket exhaust was available. Most people made the mods themselves. Anyway, just like today, most of the bikes were more capable than the rider on them. All the mods in the world will not make you a better rider, only practice and determination does that. I saw one club member who when he joined was lucky to be able to ride out of site practice and train to be able to get a bronze medal in the ISDE in less than 10 years because he wanted that.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Introducing Suzan 26 Jan 2015 10:27 #7593

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Like Ian said Zeb we did it ourselves if we knew how.

My first trail bike (DT1) came with enduro tyres which I replaced with enduro tyres when worn, I don't think I ever put knobbies on that bike.
(From memory I could do it in less than 20 minutes, never had heavy duty tubes of course)

Change fork oil vizcosity to suit.

Make packers for adjusting suspension spring tension.

Make thicker head gasket on my RT1 so you could kick start the Mother Farker without breaking the kick start or your leg when it kicked back. It also stopped it compression locking and stalling when going down hills which was really nice and only dropped the top speed from 95mph to 90 which I could easily make up for under brakes, oh the fun we had, and still have of course.

Change jets in carb to suit.

When I road raced my DT1 I fitted a GYT engine kit  (Conversion to Scrambler, Head, Barrel, Piston, Expansion chamber) I tidy'd up the porting and jetted it to run without the air cleaner. It was good for 105 mph at Calder and with lots of other upgrades to brakes, tyres etc it was good enough to win my 250 B grade heat and the final on. 
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 26 Jan 2015 14:39 by Ken R.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zeb Colic

Introducing Suzan 26 Jan 2015 18:48 #7633

• Zeb Colic
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Ken R wrote:
Like Ian said Zeb we did it ourselves if we knew how.

My first trail bike (DT1) came with enduro tyres which I replaced with enduro tyres when worn, I don't think I ever put knobbies on that bike.
(From memory I could do it in less than 20 minutes, never had heavy duty tubes of course)

Change fork oil vizcosity to suit.

Make packers for adjusting suspension spring tension.

Make thicker head gasket on my RT1 so you could kick start the Mother Farker without breaking the kick start or your leg when it kicked back. It also stopped it compression locking and stalling when going down hills which was really nice and only dropped the top speed from 95mph to 90 which I could easily make up for under brakes, oh the fun we had, and still have of course.

Change jets in carb to suit.

When I road raced my DT1 I fitted a GYT engine kit  (Conversion to Scrambler, Head, Barrel, Piston, Expansion chamber) I tidy'd up the porting and jetted it to run without the air cleaner. It was good for 105 mph at Calder and with lots of other upgrades to brakes, tyres etc it was good enough to win my 250 B grade heat and the final on. [/quote

I can see you now Ken ears pinned back in the attack position WFO brilliant. .....  In a way these after market bits are what's keeeping the enduro stuff going because it gives you options   Like the electronic bash which I put on to get rego , if i could find an original that worked it would probably set me back about 500 bucks and that's for a 35 year old speedo that you hope will last so instead I banged on a trail tech digital one that cost be 110 bucks and enjoyed nutting out the brackets and sensors and getting it all to work , if I had an original it would be in a box due to fear of braking it . Would have been a differnt kettle of fish back in your and Ians younger days sounds like it was OEM or nothing , can you remember what a IT  or PE would have set you back in the early 80's. 

Introducing Suzan 26 Jan 2015 19:04 #7636

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
In the mid 80's I paid around $3000 for my IT490. Great bike. I wish now I had kept it but I sold it to another club member for around $1500 from memory in the late 80's
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds