Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oh Dear, I've Done It Again!

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:42 #30

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
It's been pretty busy since my last installment!  As you can see, the project is now running, but to get it there still took a bit of work.

I sourced a replacement magneto cover from Tm bill (OZVMX forum), which got blasted, painted and adorned with a new emblem.  I also was able to install the front sprocket cover, although only temporally, 'cos the chain isn't fitted yet.  I got the sprockets and chain through Pat, but unfortunately, his supplier sent a 520 chain (the sprockets are 525).  I've also got a NOS gear lever for it, but I can't put that on till the sprocket guard is on and I can't put that on till the chain is on.......!

Anyhoo, I disassembled the carbie, cleaned and polished it and installed it with new airbox boot and gaskets etc.  The 'push' cable was alright, but the 'pull' cable (which also activates the oil pump), was knackered, so that was replaced.  I re-set the adjustment on the oil pump and bled the lines, so that all looks like it's working fine.

On the other side of the bike, I installed the exhaust, complete with NOS heat shield and emblem.  The battery box is yet to be installed, 'cos it's still in the shed drying.  I got a new cover for the battery through Mick Hone.  It's an item that is still readily available through Suzuki (although it had to come from Japan.  It cost me $12.10...list price!  Someone on eBay has one for sale at $25.00!  I think people think that just 'cos stuff is old, it's worth a motza!

Switch gears and levers have all been cleaned, polished or replaced, along with cables.

The wiring loom has been cleaned and checked over with a multi-meter to make sure there are no broken wires.  I've checked some of the lights, but others still need investigation, but all-in-all, I'm happy with the weekend progress.

The remaining major component of the build is the tank.  It needs de-denting and a respray and that's not something I plan to tackle myself.  I've got a lead which I'll investegate next week.  I don't expect it to be a cheap process!.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:42 by Serge C.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:43 #31

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
The project is coming to an end, as for all intents and purposes, the resto is near complete.

I've spent the last couple of weekends working through the electrics, getting everything working.  Headlight (high/low beam) worked straight away.  I needed to fabricate a loom for the tail/stop light and that took a bit of mucking around, but we got there in the end.  Brake lights both work, although the front switch is a bit sticky and will need further tinkering.  Indicators are now working with the inclusion of a new relay. All dashboard lights work, along with ignition and kill switches.  The only electrical to still sort is the horn.  It was working, now it's not!

Otherwise, I have mirrors coming and still need to run some carbie vent pipes and tidy-up a few wires.

As I've been saying for a while, the tank is now my main focus.  I'll get that sorted shortly and will also need to procure some stickers for the tank and side cover.

No doubt, there will be other 'bits-and-pieces' still to obtain/work on, but all in all I'm happy with how it's turned out (so far).

And......it goes!

Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:45 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:44 #32

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
I've been deliberately avoiding the TS's tank issue, until the end of the resto.  I had a lead on a repair, but was gonna leave it till after Harrow.  But while trawling through evil-bay, I came across this:

The ad said: This is an unused Suzuki TS250 fuel tank which was replaced, under warranty, because of two small paint chips at the rear of the tank.  I tried a close-up of the back of the tank, and they didn't show.  Shipping to continental US only.

So first thing I did was send a message and ask if he would send it to Aus.  He said yes, but expect it to be expensive.  He came back and said $180.00  I didn't expect that much, but it gave me something to work on.

The auction had started and there was a bid of $10.00 on it.  It was going off at 6:30 Friday morning, so before I went to bed, I put a max bid on and it took it to $17.00  I woke up early, so turned on the computer (expecting it to be all over) and found that there was still 1 min 30 to go, and I still had the highest bid at $17.00  So I watched the seconds tick away, and with 20 to go, the bid jumped to $24.00.  With 10 to go, it jumped to $45.00.  Then at zero....pause....I won it....for $53.00!

The guy contacted me with an invoice and said that the 'estimated' freight price was too much and that it was actually only gonna be $130.00  Bonus!

So, I have an anxious wait till I receive a NOS tank, with slight damage.  Apparently, the vendor used to own a Suzuki dealership in the 70's and 80's, and occasionally bikes were delivered with minor damage to the tanks.  So they would be replaced under warranty and the damaged tanks put away (for years), until they are found in an attic and auctioned!

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked!  :D  :D   
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:49 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:44 #33

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
The postie came today, and look what he brought me!

Even the factory box is special!

Apparently, there are some 'chips' in the paint....I can't see them!  For all intents and purposes, it's a brand new, never been used, never had fuel put in it tank.

It's just sitting on the bike and already it looks grouse!
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:52 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:45 #34

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Resplendent with her Club Rego plate and her official 'un-veiling' at the August General Meeting, the resto is complete!

Well, that is to say that there will always be small bits and pieces to do, but for all intents and purposes, I can sign off on this one!

When the weather is a bit kinder, I'll take some better pics!

Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:53 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:46 #35

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
As promised, some more pics of the TS.

My daughter got a bit "arty" with the camera!

Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 13:04 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 19 Aug 2017 13:11 #22389

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Re-instated photos through Imgur.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds