Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AGAIN!!

AGAIN!! 06 Mar 2019 19:13 #29279

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
There's a number of ways of looking at things, Pete.

A 4 stroke PE?  Not a bad idea!

But I think I prefer the option of having a couple of strokes removed, so the smoke output is more consistent with the engine.

Apparently, 2Ts go harder!
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

AGAIN!! 29 Mar 2019 16:41 #29545

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Much has happened since my last installment, and while the bike is running, it's not all good news!  More on that later.

With the motor back in, it was time to bolt some extra bits on.  I'd procured a NOS tail light and mount, but couldn't see how it was supposed to mount.  I could see where it had to be, but not how

A little investigation revealed that a mounting plate had been cut off my sub-frame, rendering it useless from a mounting point of view.  I located one in the states, but shipping made it prohibitive, so I checked with Suzuki and they had a NOS one in Japan...last one!  So, it was gonna be mine.  I've said before and I'll say again, it never ceases to amaze me what is still available for old(er) bikes.  At the same time, I picked up some original tank stickers, so now I can print out as many as I want, and I don't care how long they last!

Then with this sub-frame in place, I could mount the tail light and rear guard extender.

Chain and sprockets went on next.  Front sprocket bolt was munted and needed to be drilled and ezy-outed.  Carbie went on, after a good clean and a few bits replaced.  Throttle cables were re-lubed and installed. Exhaust was cleaned and re-painted.  Serviced the caliper and master cylinder and replaced the knackered brake line with a custom made braided line.

I sat down with the wiring loom and a diagram and went through it all, working out what went where and labeled accordingly, then hung the loom on the bike.

I found a speedo/dash on eBay and got that.  It looked a little ratty, but cleaned up well with some TLC.

Mounted that with a new cable and clamp and all good.

And that's basically where she's at.

The story with the engine is not so happy :(

As mentioned, it was blowing a lot of smoke.  A leak down test showed 25%, so that's not good.  The head came off to reveal deep seated valves and the top of the piston and bore showed evidence of water sitting in it for god knows how long!  So it's fcuked!  Fortunately, I had a doner bike (well two), and the barrel on one was in excellent condition, so with a light hone, that's good to go.  The head on the other engine (the one that resided at Abbeyard for a week or two), was in quite good nick, so that will be freshened up and used.  A real Frankensuzukistein effort.  I needed to buy a new piston, so that's been ordered from Zook and I should have that on Monday.

So, good and bad news, but progress is being made.  Now, I'll aim for a debut at the AMTRA Three Bridges event.

AGAIN!! 29 Mar 2019 20:34 #29547

• Chappa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Geez Serge you did a good job cleaning up that speedo and mounting wind back the ODO and it would look brand new the bike is coming along great but what was Suzuki thinking with that headlight

AGAIN!! 29 Mar 2019 20:49 #29549

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Yes, the headlight is very special!

AGAIN!! 29 Mar 2019 21:52 #29550

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
It's looking good Serge, and like Chappa said - great job on the speedo, but that headlight :sick:

The bike design department must have been blotto on Sake and the drawings were required tomorrow, so they got somebody they knew who was working on a submarine at the time. Tomorrow came and it was just too late to fix it, plus they had big hangovers ta-boot :) Oh well, it's somethink to talk about ain't it ;) 
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 30 Mar 2019 17:29 by Ken R.

AGAIN!! 30 Mar 2019 19:30 #29551

• Tim D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 269
So is it motor/gearbox out again or can you do the repairs in the frame?

AGAIN!! 31 Mar 2019 12:44 #29554

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 93
Chappa wrote:
Geez Serge you did a good job cleaning up that speedo and mounting wind back the ODO and it would look brand new the bike is coming along great but what was Suzuki thinking with that headlight

Probably thinking how do we get this feeble 25W 6V excuse for a headlight to do anything other than light up the front guard when things get dark in the forest. An engineers solution that escaped marketing and style departments.

This was a bike that was intended to get used at night, rather than the PE which just had to have a headlight to qualify as an enduro. Been a while since riding through the bush at night to remind my self that the headlight may not be up to the task.
The older I get, the slower I was.

AGAIN!! 31 Mar 2019 15:01 #29555

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Tim D wrote:
So is it motor/gearbox out again or can you do the repairs in the frame?

All in the frame.
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds