Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where do I start?

Where do I start? 23 May 2018 08:26 #26191

• Gerald
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Greetings all.

I’m getting really interested in Vinduro, but I have no idea where to start.

I’m feeling a bit grumpy today so let me say up front I don’t need advice like “get an old bike” (I’ve already worked that bit out!). What I do need to understand is, is the scene governed in the same way as disciplines like MX where a heap of rules, classes and all that other bullshit means you have to be careful to understand whether the machine you buy limits or excludes what and where you can ride?

I have a few bikes in mind that I’d love to have, but I do want to ride it, so if I buy (for example a 1984 CR 500) is it able to be ridden  @ vinduro events etc, etc, etc. 

so, I suppose the starting point is to know if there is some governing body that has this sort of info?

Thanks guys.

Gerald
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Where do I start? 23 May 2018 09:51 #26196

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 93
Try looking at Veri Vinduro website, they run a lot of the events.

In general, for vinduro the bike has to be of a type that was ridden in the endures at the time, so a registrable type. They have stuck with pre 85 rather than rolling 25year limit. No classes as such and events are more a ride on the old bikes than a race with timing and winners. Don't seem so strict on period mods etc.

So the CR500 is probably going to be excluded even with a rec reg kit on it. Most common is the PE/IT/KDX/XR set.

Some events have on road sections of the course, so either need a rec/club reg bike or be limited to the off road section of the course.
The older I get, the slower I was.

Where do I start? 23 May 2018 10:29 #26198

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Yes, what mat says is about right.

Vic Vinduro events are now out to 1988 (up from 1985).

Some events (like Three Bridges), do not require any form of rego, although you will have to purchase a MA one day license for insurance purposes.  Other events require Rec, Red or full rego, as you will be riding on public roads.  All the usual rego gear is preferred, but common sense prevails.  Head light and tail light are mandatory on ALL events (they don't necessarily need to be operational.

The scene is very friendly and light-hearted.  racing only occurs between mates.  But don't expect it to be easy!  No consideration is given to the age of bikes (or riders) when courses are layed out.

As mat suggested, check out the VERi web-site.  There is an event this weekend (25th May) at Beaufort.  Might be a bit far to come for a look-see, but if you've got nothing else happening.......
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Where do I start? 23 May 2018 13:48 #26200

• Gerald
  • Senior Boarder
Matt and Serge,

Thanks guys this is really helpful. I’m not really thinking about a CR 500, it just seemed like a good extreme example to make a point. The mode of operation in Vinduro sounds absolutely perfect, my skill level on the bikes has improved dramatically with time in the saddle and regular trials riding as well so not to easy should be good. 

I saw a beautiful XR 500R which really got the adrenaline pumping but I need to do my homework (which you guys have helped with tremendously) before leaping into buying another bike.

Cheers

G

Where do I start? 23 May 2018 17:57 #26203

• Dr. Peter
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Gerald,
I can see the attraction of vinduro too. I just bought a 98 model all-drum brake DT 175 and I did try to swap the front end with my 02 front disk, rec registered DT175, but that scenario didn't play out.

I'll be waiting for the private land events to try the 98 model out, but if push comes, I could ride my 76 TY250 trials. In fact, the 98 DT could be superfluous.

I notice different clubs have different criteria.

Peter
Peter Farrell
2017 Suzuki S40 Boulevard (cruising) - loned out
2006 Kawasaki KLE 500 (adventure) - loned out
1989 Suzuki TS 250 X (vinduro)
1986 Honda Goldwing 1200
1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
1976 TY250 (twin shock trials and officiating)
Last Edit: 23 May 2018 23:44 by Dr. Peter.

Where do I start? 25 May 2018 21:52 #26254

• Gerald
  • Senior Boarder
Guys,

I’m pleased to announce that in keeping with my impulsive nature, research has been completed and a bike tentatively secured. 

Vinduro here we come.

Once again guys thanks for the input.

Dr Peter, I reckon you might really take to the Vinduro thing. I’m loving the trials and trail riding and the Vinduro scene looks to be really fun and friendly with good riding to top it off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Peter
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds