Post your ride reports here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Eildon 27th Peter Ross

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 28 Dec 2014 16:25 #6906

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Quick report.
I think there was 21 riders who started from Eildon. There was a great mix of tracks but mostly rocky, which is my favourite riding. There was a challenging optional single track diversion with 6 riders taking up the challenge and meeting up with the main group up the track a little. We headed to Kevington for lunch and a welcome break then off to Jamieson for fuel. I believe a few people pulled out just after lunch and a few more at varying times during the afternoon who headed back to the cars via the road. I think the ride finished with around 15 of the original 21. For everyone but Peter it was very dusty with the dust and afternoon sun making the last part of the ride a challenge in places. Total ks for the day were around 160. Thanks to Peter for a great days ride.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 28 Dec 2014 19:50 #6907

• Stevodrztractor
Thanks again pete for another great ride.

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 28 Dec 2014 22:31 #6909

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Do I get multi day points for this?

Day 1:

Arrived at Pete's Pleasure Palace at around 4:00, just in time for 4:00'sies!  We drank until 6:00, then headed to the Thornton (Rubicon) hotel for  dinner.  I had a lovely Chinese seafood combination (who would have figured?).  After dinner, we went back to the Palace, and had a few more drinkies until we started to talk sh!t, then went to bed.  

Day 2:

Up at 7:00 and headed to the bakery for brekky.  Got to the meeting point and geared up with the rest of the crew.  Usual talk from Pete, then headed off.  Twisty missed the FIRST corner, which delayed things a bit, but soon sorted and into the ride.  As Robbo said, very dusty and rocky for most of the ride.  Those who poo-pooed the tar sections soon ate their words as they were a welcome relief from the dust.  An optional 'hard' section saw a few tackle a grouse bit of single trail, and gave me the opportunity to chase Nathan (for a short while).  Rejoined the others and headed into Kevington for a feed and rest.  As always, it was hard to get going again after lunch, but a short squirt down the tar to Jamo for fuel and we were back into it.

The after lunch section was much the same as the morning, with more rocks and dust.  A couple of steepish hill climbs saw a few riders get unstuck, but generally speaking, the crew flowed well all day.  We experienced no flats or injuries, and no real issues at all, apart from an un-constitutional elbow from Pete to Ken, which saw the latter spear off into the bush and hit the deck!

A few pulled out at various sections, but most pulled back into the car park at around 5:00, with 160 - 170 ks on the clock.  A few beers were had at the Golden Trout before heading home.  Pete, Darren, Wiggy, Freddo and me went back to the Thornton for dinner (more Chinese), and then back to the palace for (several) more adult fizzy drinks.  More sh!t talk, then bed.

Day 3:

Woke up, went home.

Thanks for a great ride (weekend) Pete.  Always fun, always a good crew.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 14:28 #6912

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Ian Robinson wrote:
Quick report.
I think there was 21 riders who started from Eildon. There was a great mix of tracks but mostly rocky, which is my favourite riding. There was a challenging optional single track diversion with 6 riders taking up the challenge and meeting up with the main group up the track a little. We headed to Kevington for lunch and a welcome break then off to Jamieson for fuel. I believe a few people pulled out just after lunch and a few more at varying times during the afternoon who headed back to the cars via the road. I think the ride finished with around 15 of the original 21. For everyone but Peter it was very dusty with the dust and afternoon sun making the last part of the ride a challenge in places. Total ks for the day were around 160. Thanks to Peter for a great days ride.
Good to see you could get out on your bike Robbo, I didn't know you preferred rocks Robbo, Myself, Gary C and Zeb and Pommy Mat just had a few days up at the base of Dargo Rd where we did a loop yesterday  including ridding up Billy Goats Bluff, man I have never seen so many stairs and rocks like whats on BGB, I think it took us well over an hr just to get up to the ridge but well worth it and great to tick it of the bucket list, you should go have a go at it if you like a real challenge.  
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 14:34 #6913

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Willbar wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
Quick report.
Good to see you could get out on your bike Robbo, I didn't know you preferred rocks Robbo, Myself, Gary C and Zeb and Pommy Mat just had a few days up at the base of Dargo Rd where we did a loop yesterday  including ridding up Billy Goats Bluff, man I have never seen so many stairs and rocks like whats on BGB, I think it took us well over an hr just to get up to the ridge but well worth it and great to tick it of the bucket list, you should go have a go at it if you like a real challenge.  

Will, I have ridden/driven up Billy Goats bluff at least 50 times. Once in 2wd when I broke the detent spring that kept my Landcruiser locked in 4wd!
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 16:36 #6917

• rusty990
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Jesus, you wouldn't be driving your Cruiser up there in 2wd anymore. Billy Goats is not the easy track that it used to be. Has been chopped up a lot over the last 5 years and is currently in the worse condition it has ever been in.

Did you guys take any footage of your little adventure up Billy Goats? If so post it and let us have a sticky-beak.

Cheers Russ

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 17:34 #6919

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
rusty990 wrote:
Jesus, you wouldn't be driving your Cruiser up there in 2wd anymore. Billy Goats is not the easy track that it used to be. Has been chopped up a lot over the last 5 years and is currently in the worse condition it has ever been in.

Did you guys take any footage of your little adventure up Billy Goats? If so post it and let us have a sticky-beak.

Cheers Russ
Hey Russ, Ive got a couple of photos but nothing showing the carnage, we where wondering why all the 4wds where coming towards us and we soon worked out why, Gary had to turn around at one point to go down for another go and was yelling at me that his back brake wasn't working, perhaps Gary thats cause it's off the ground as it bounces down the steps and the rear wheel is locked up Gary.  We met a family where mum and dad in late model Disco drove up with there daughter driving behind in her Amarok which I was impressed with, but you know its tuff when see Pommy Mat struggling at the odd spots and I was kind off proud to ride between him and Zeb as they where stuck, but reality is line choice and I just made a better one than them, but Ian I would still encourage you to ride up it if you get a chance and give us a second opinion on how hard or easy it is nowadays.  
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 17:47 #6921

• DarrenD
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Isn't this an Eildon Ride Report??

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 17:56 #6922

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Willbar wrote:
rusty990 wrote:

Cheers Russ
Hey Russ, Ive got a couple of photos but nothing showing the carnage, we where wondering why all the 4wds where coming towards us and we soon worked out why, Gary had to turn around at one point to go down for another go and was yelling at me that his back brake wasn't working, perhaps Gary thats cause it's off the ground as it bounces down the steps and the rear wheel is locked up Gary.  We met a family where mum and dad in late model Disco drove up with there daughter driving behind in her Amarok which I was impressed with, but you know its tuff when see Pommy Mat struggling at the odd spots and I was kind off proud to ride between him and Zeb as they where stuck, but reality is line choice and I just made a better one than them, but Ian I would still encourage you to ride up it if you get a chance and give us a second opinion on how hard or easy it is nowadays. 
Last Edit: 29 Dec 2014 17:57 by Willbar.

Eildon 27th Peter Ross 29 Dec 2014 17:57 #6923

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
DarrenD wrote:
Isn't this an Eildon Ride Report??
owe sorry about that Darren :sick:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds