Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Marysville 14/10/2018

Marysville 14/10/2018 15 Oct 2018 09:35 #27852

• markjudkins
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Beautiful spring morning to go riding. Broke out into a light sweat while gearing up which isn't ideal.
Mark gave his pre ride pep talk and then we were off to explore the trails around Marysville.
About 15 minutes in, Karl didn't see a spoon drain and had a nasty off. His bark busters were twisted and steering a bit bent. He seemed ok though.
Helped him straighten the bike out and off we went.
Everyone seemed to be cruising pretty well so I think Mark may have decided to do some more fun tighter tracks.
There was a nice cool breeze blowing which kept the temp pleasant and blew the dust away.
At some point we did a river crossing which was surprisingly deep. Phil's RM250 didn't like the water and cut out.
Quick clean of the plug and flush out of the carby and he was back in business again.
Stopped at Dom Dom saddle for lunch.

After lunch Phil suggested it might be good if the tailman kickstarted any bikes without buttons. Hmmm... where is that suggestion box.
Mark decided to take took us up his favourite challenge hill. Phil's RM was giving him a tough time negotiation the rocky outcrops.
I stopped to give hime  a bit of hand and then told him I'm going to push on and I'll come back down and help him once i've reached the top.
I didn't get too much further up the hill when I came across carnage. Bikes all over the place and Al providing assistance by sitting on his bike and shouting instructions.
Got off my bike, climbed up to the downed riders and started pushing and pulling bikes.
After shouting a few more instructions Al decided to leave us to it and took off showing us the optimum route through rocks.
Simon followed Al and I was just about to give the next victim a push when Mark re-appeard signalling that we were turning around.
Apparently this hill gets harder still, so after reaching the top with Kevin and Ian in tow, Mark sent Kevin and Ian down the other side and then came back down and turned us all around.
We cruised back to cars arriving back at about 3pm and 100+km done.

Note: I found out back at the cars that Al is recovering from an operation on his achilles tendon which is why he was providing verbal assistance instead of physical. Sorry Al,  I take back those bad thoughts I had.  :)

Awesome day, thanks Mark for putting ride on and everyone else for a fun day.  

Last Edit: 15 Oct 2018 13:18 by markjudkins.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karl

Marysville 14/10/2018 15 Oct 2018 15:59 #27853

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Had a great day, wasn't to excited. Just got to the start point an hour and a half early to be punctual.  :)

The day flowed well and was a good group. I did feel a bit like those thoughts in Marks head. Wasn't normal for me to not be off the bike helping, but i still did my best to shout at people with advice.  Enjoyed flowing through the pack for the day, with the ever present voice of "behave" playing in my head.

The challenge hill saw a great effort by a few riders, and Simon made him self proud with his efforts for some one that's be on a dirt bike for such a short time.

Thanks Mark for the day and checking on me.
And to Mark for tailman duties all day, will help out more next time.
Al
The following user(s) said Thank You: karl, swatts

Marysville 14/10/2018 15 Oct 2018 21:58 #27856

• swatts
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Thanks Mark and Mark for putting on a great ride, and everyone else for their help and support, especially Al for his instructions on the hill.

It was my first real trail ride, and some of those hills got me pretty unstuck. Will definitely have to work on those!

It was a nice mix of tracks and trails, and a bit more challenging than I anticipated but overall it was fantastic.

My most memorable moment was ending up about 40 metres further  down the hill than my bike after having to jump clear so the bike didn't land on me. With the momentum from the jump taking me, I could only move my feet in the same direction as I was going to prevent myself from face planting on the rocks. Stopping proved very difficult!

It seems I have buggered my clutch after overheating the bike on that last hill, and will need some attention before my next ride.

Thanks all, and looking forward to joining on another ride

Marysville 14/10/2018 16 Oct 2018 07:32 #27857

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
Simon.
Do an oil change with filter, then have a look at resetting the clutch free play on both the handle bars and clutch cam on the engine end before anything else.  Also have a look at what chain and sprocket ratio your running, as if your gearing is more road orientated this could explain why the clutch had such a work out clumbing hills.
Al
The following user(s) said Thank You: swatts

Marysville 14/10/2018 16 Oct 2018 11:06 #27858

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
How did your arm come up Karl?
Al

Marysville 14/10/2018 16 Oct 2018 13:35 #27860

• karl
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Al wrote:
How did your arm come up Karl?
Al
Thanks Al.

I drove to Sandringham hospital after the ride and am still here, but expecting to be be out by 4pm today.
i had a general anaesthetic last night where the surgeons cleaned it all out, and stitched it up.
All good now, no pain at all, but  out of biking action for at least 3 weeks.
Ill use that tiime to look for better body armour that doesn’t slip.

Thanks for the ride Mark. might be ready for the next one.
2005 BMW HP2
2017 KTM 500
(Super Tenere, zrx900,fj1200,fj1100,gpz1100,vf750,sr500,ts250) - all retired
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2018 13:37 by karl.

Marysville 14/10/2018 16 Oct 2018 13:42 #27861

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad you got sorted mate. Was a good size hole!! 3 weeks is nothing Karl, trust me.
Al

Marysville 14/10/2018 16 Oct 2018 17:38 #27864

• swatts
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Al . Got an oil filter and oil today so will try that out. The previous owner put a larger rear sprocket on, I think it is a 51t but will double check
Simon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds