Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Melbourne to Jameson (adventure ride)

Melbourne to Jameson (adventure ride) 31 Dec 2017 16:22 #24049

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
I can't comment on what Pete's ride did, but I can tell you what a handful of blokes did on 'big' bikes.

Onion and Geoff met me in Burwood on Boxing Day and we headed out through Warandyte and kangaroo Ground, to meet up with Dennis at St Andrews.  We waited for a few minutes (enjoying having our jackets off for a while), until Dennis arrived.

When ready, we headed off through Kinglake and Flowerdale, en-route to an overnight stop in Caveat (half hour north of Yea).  We met Pete at the pub in Yea, had a refreshing beer, then hit the supermarket for some supplies.  We loaded them into Pete's car and then headed up the hill,  We had a great BBQ feed, some cheese n' cabana, olives, chips, beer and wine and a jolly good night.

Pete left early in the morning to meet up with his dirty crew, so we had a leasurly breakfast and geared up for our exit.

We took one of the many dirt/gravel routes out of Caveat, heading towards Yark, giving both Dennis and Geoff their first real experience of 'off-road' riding on their respective mounts.  Both handled the conditions well.  It was already getting warm and we were looking forward to the opportunity to strip-off (for a while) when we hit Alexandria.

From Alex, we headed to Eildon along the twisties and stopped at the look out for a break and some pics.

Then it was a straight run down to meet the crew at Jamison for lunch.

It was HOT, and Pete and his boys looked it.  Pete decided he'd had enough and was trying to tee up the courtesy bus to take him and the boys (and the bikes), back to the cars.  They said no, so the ride was still on.

It was great to see that Robbo had made it out, so he joined the 'adventure' crew as we rolled out on our way to Woods Point.  Now Robbo doesn't get out much, so when he's on a bike, he's a little like a dog off a lead.......he just WENT!  The rest of us took a gentlemen's pace and pulled over at Gaffney's Greek for a splash and a cool down.  Onion and I reminisced over some old times at Gaffs, but the heat of the day got us thinking about beer, so we pushed on.  We met up with Robbo at Woods Point. 

The battery on his bike was failing and starting his bike was becoming a chore, so he took off again at Matlock.  The rest of us revelled in the delightful run that is the Reefton Spur, pulling over in Warburton to catch up with Ian.  He said he was gonna hi-tail it home, and proceeded to stall his bike!  It was all-hand-on-deck to get it started again, and that's the last we saw of him.

We then took the Warby Hwy, through Yarra Junction and onto Woori Yallock, where I bade farewell to the boys and headed south via Cockatoo, Gembrrook, Pakenham and Koo Wee Rup, en route to meet up with my family at San Remo.  I pulled in at 7:00, just in time for dinner and a few cold beers.

It had been a great day/over-nighter/ride, albeit bloody hot.  I've just returned from San Remo, with a total of 676ks for the round trip.  Thanks of the adventure crew for making it a fun ride and for Pete for getting the whole ball rolling.  I'm glad Pete had some starters for the dirt ride, but this event used to attract 20-30 punters (we must be gettin' old or something!)

Anyhoo, until the next one!
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Melbourne to Jameson (adventure ride) 31 Dec 2017 16:49 #24050

• dennisd
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Another great report Serge, thanks and a great ride, although a bit hot. Some good company and refreshments at our overnight at Caveat was terrific. My KLR handled the gravel roads better than I expected so there were no real dramas, although some care was needed in the loose gravel on tighter twisty bits of the dirt road before and after Woods Point. My only drama for the 2 day ride was I lost my number plate, which i did not notice until washing the bike the next day. I think it must have fallen off on the dirt sections somewhere around Woods Point. No problem getting a new one!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds