Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glenburn

Glenburn 02 Jul 2017 21:14 #21718

• Jeff Davey
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Bloody hell it was cold Saturday morning when five crazy dirt bikers followed Wade into the scrub. Not sure if the ground was frozen or someone had coated the whole place in Teflon, because it was really slippery up there. Thankfully the transport section was short so we hit the tough stuff before your fingers froze. It only toke about a kay of trying to stay upright to forget about the cold.
We kept ploughing thru track after track till we got to a tough hill climb. Once we had ridden some up and dragged the rest up  we were all breathing hard . Quick check of the time. Mmm we have been at it for 2 hours  and travelled about 12 klm!
 This will be a tough day out. Now this ride is no walk in the park! Try doing it with only one arm. Gary you are a champ!!! Back to the cars for lunch after around 40 odd klm. Gray took the chance to have an early day and the rest of us set out again for another go at some interesting tracks where a poor choise of line would see you buried  in a 4wd rut full of brown water. Thanks Wade for leading a great ride. Thanks Peter for tailman duties all day. Finished around 3.30 with 65 klm on the clock.
He who dies with the most TOYS wins
Last Edit: 02 Jul 2017 21:15 by Jeff Davey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Glenburn 02 Jul 2017 21:51 #21720

• colinp
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Jeff is right it was cold, minus two according to the car temperature gauge. As usual my bike didn't want to start even though I had charged the battery the night before but with a jump start it she was away. I have ordered a lithium battery so we will see how that goes.

I though my riding had improved on my new bike but the wet red clay and slippery trees across the track just bring you down to earth very quickly. I had two off's in the first three km's and it didn't seem to get much better from there. The highlight of my day was almost getting to the top of the shitty hill first go. Where I say almost, three quarters of the way up Simon was directing me around a rider but my interpretation of his instructions weren't the same and at the last minute I realised there were two logs not one and a third looking like a harpoon waiting to spear me so I abandoned my bike away from the harpoon. Just after this going up some tree root steps my bike decided to go one way and me the other breaking my front guard fortunately just cosmetic damage.

After lunch Wade took us down what could only be described as a two km bog hole. At one point I slipped off the bank into the mire the front wheel disappeared but fortunately I was able to keep the engine going and rode out.

Thanks Wade for another great ride and to Pete for doing tail duties for the day. Like Jeff said Gary is an unbelievable  rider. Cheers Colin 

Glenburn 02 Jul 2017 22:25 #21721

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
It was minus 3 and foggy when I left home, but there were some lovely bursts of sunshine on the drive up, hinting at what was to come. Heading up to the unloading spot saw us getting above the fog, and into the glorious sunshine – unfortunately, the air was still very chilly!

There seems to be an endless supply of tracks up there, and Wade led us around some really challenging ones. The hills were trickier this time due to the wetter conditions, and greasy off-camber logs were scattered everywhere, just waiting to catch us out.

Riding at the back of the pack is always interesting when the conditions are slippery, and I was kept very entertained by those in front. Thankfully, no-one could see me…although Colin did have to help me out of a deep 4WD trench and puddle at one stage, when I chose a wrong line!

I was astounded at how Gary managed to do the morning ride with a prosthetic arm – it was very inspiring to watch, and just shows that you truly are only limited by your own mindset.

The new tyres on the AJP were a godsend! It was only after the lunch break that I started to find them slipping on that 2km puddle track, and I think even caterpillar treads would struggle there.

Thanks everyone for another great day out on the trails.

Glenburn 03 Jul 2017 09:19 #21723

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Thanks fellas for ya ride reports, it was great riding them while I had my brekky.

By the sounds of it, this ride is a lot more physical then my rides.
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.

Glenburn 03 Jul 2017 09:25 #21725

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Holy shit it was cold up there! Would have been a good warm-up ( or cool-down) for next weeks snow ride... 
When we headed out from the cars the air was bitterly cold, so cold it was hurting,  had to put my hand in front of my face to deflect the icy blast. Colder than a mother-in-law's kiss as they say.....
Plenty of challenges on the first trail soon had us warmed up, well, more than warmed up - we were sweating heavily with all the lifting and dragging of bikes, but great fun. A couple of hours in (about 11 km as has been noted!) we watched a couple of young guys struggling up a nasty rocky climb in front of us, luckily Wade had an alternative route. Took most of us a couple of shots to get up. Gary stopped about half-way, I suggested he turn around and have another go, but instead he gave us all a lesson in clutch control and restarting on a hill, looked like something from last week's Erzberg as he carried the front wheel in the air and clawed up a few more metres at a time... and gave us a heavy shower of clumps of dirt from the back tyre of the big Husaberg... Thanks mate!!!
Even in the afternoon there was frost on the ground and even puddles that were iced over!
Really enjoyed the day, was a bit sore and sorry that night though...
Will post up some video if I can get it off the GoPro and onto the desktop - having a few issues. I don't like computers and they don't like me, but I'll work it out asap......
Cheers,
Simon J.
Last Edit: 03 Jul 2017 09:27 by simonj.

Glenburn 03 Jul 2017 22:39 #21734

• Evo
Thanks boys for excellent ride report.
Not much more for me add here but it 
sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves  despite the bitterly cold start, tree roots, deep ruts logs, bog holes all coated in slippery red tefflon. So l will do this ride again early September. Thanks Pete for being tailman for all 60km. 

Glenburn 05 Jul 2017 19:35 #21745

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
When I was reading the great ride reports, & when the fellas mentioned a one armed rider I was thinking that might be Garry De Wildt, I've never heard of any other one armed rider riding dirtbikes, when I saw the ride list, I was happy to see his name there, I've seen him ride way back in the seventies, he was at a lot of the enduro's I was at over the years, I never got to talk to him, I found it hard to talk to him because of his handy cap, but I tell ya's, he had my respect.

So if you are reading this Garry, a big welcome to the club mate.

For those that don't know anything about Garry, take a look at the link I've put up.

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc...kiB5uzwOzlNHD33Hr-9g

Last Edit: 05 Jul 2017 19:37 by Frankieboy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serge C

Glenburn 05 Jul 2017 21:53 #21746

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
I'm pretty sure Garry De Wildt lived down the road from me many years ago. (can there be many one armed trail riders?) I spotted him in his drive washing his Husky and went for a yak and told him about AMTRA.

Went for a few rides with him, and yep, he was bloody good.

G'Day Garry from Ken Robinson Margate Ave
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 05 Jul 2017 21:56 by Ken R.

Glenburn 06 Jul 2017 13:29 #21748

• Evo
Garry is one very determined man. I put him through some very nasty trails last weekend, he loved it! 

Glenburn 06 Jul 2017 14:36 #21750

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
Evo wrote:
Garry is one very determined man. I put him through some very nasty trails last weekend, he loved it! 

Just go's to prove, mind over matter, yeah i know, I should remember that here & there :)

I'm very interest in Garry's ride report, hint hint.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds