Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Marysville 11th June

Marysville 11th June 12 Jun 2017 09:02 #21543

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
It was a foggy start to the day, but before the rider’s briefing had finished there was already a hint of blue sky starting to peek through the mist. Once we started to get some elevation, it was straight into clear skies and sunshine.

With so many people going away on the Queen’s birthday long weekend, I was expecting a very small turnout for this ride. Surprisingly, there ended up being 19 riders in the group – not a bad effort for the middle of winter!

We had a bit of an awkward start – we lost one of our new riders early on, and a bit of back-tracking was required to locate him (thankfully back at the cars), and so we all regrouped and took off again.

No-one appeared to be struggling, even though the tracks were greasy and had been chopped up a bit by some 4WDs recently. Based on the competence being shown, I figured there were no true L1’s in the group, so it would be safe to aim for tracks more suited to Level 2.

So, a couple of the usual ‘optional’ challenge routes suddenly became ‘mandatory’ ones, and a few of the slightly harder tracks were added to the mix. The aim was to get across the highway to play on the slippery hill climbs on the Narbethong side before lunch, but unfortunately some mechanical issues caused a bit of a delay - those hills will have to wait until next time.

Instead, it was a quick blast to the creek-crossing spot at Marysville for lunch, followed by some mixed trails over near Dom Dom saddle.

The Dom Dom tracks were much less slippery than I expected, however I heard that a few people still managed to get an ‘up-close and personal’ view of the clay. Lefty was our tailman for the whole day, and said that there was plenty of entertainment to watch ahead of him.

A few riders chose to head back to the cars at 2pm, either due to mechanical issues or deadlines to keep, but 14 of us continued on for some more action.

I have to say ‘well done’ to the guy on his WR250R (Tom?) with claw-patterned tyres fitted. The ride was a little harder than I’d originally planned, but he showed some good skills in making those tyres work for him in the more technical sections.

On the way back to the cars, a few of us had a quick blast up Strickland Spur as an ‘optional’ challenge hill. All I'll say is that those big 'square-edged' rocks don’t get any easier to conquer when they’re wet!

Thanks to everyone who came along for the day – I certainly enjoyed it. Thanks also to Lefty for doing the tailman duties, and to Mark for clocking up lots of extra k’s whilst doing searches and leading the early departees back to the cars.

To those that went home via the Black Spur Rd – how long did it take with the stand-still traffic? I gave up and went home via the Acheron Way instead…
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2017 12:22 by flipper.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marysville 11th June 12 Jun 2017 15:28 #21548

• Michael N
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Sounds like a really day on the trails. A lot better than day painting the house!

Marysville 11th June 12 Jun 2017 15:52 #21549

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Ah - we were wondering where you had disappeared to Michael - house painting - pfft!
Riding bikes is much more fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonyh1709

Marysville 11th June 12 Jun 2017 20:04 #21556

• Nathan14
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for a great day out riding flipper and I must mention, thanks lefty for being tail man I heard he helped out heaps for those whom may of struggled. 

Marysville 11th June 12 Jun 2017 20:21 #21557

• Nathan14
  • Junior Boarder
Traffic was really bad it took me about half an hour to get through the spur. I was in front of you and the traffic was building pretty quick

Marysville 11th June 12 Jun 2017 23:39 #21559

• tonyh1709
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Pete for another fun ride. It was a great mix of tracks offered and wasn't too slippery with tyres down to 8psi. Thanks to Lefty for guarding our tail and Mark for rouse - about duties. I left the Car park last and didn't get home to Mentone till 8.30 after being stuck on the spur for about 45 mins!

Marysville 11th June 13 Jun 2017 08:00 #21560

• aychar350
  • Fresh Boarder
had a great day on the crf450r, lucky i pulled the pin early, just got back to the car after the tight section when the front tyre went down again, !!

Marysville 11th June 14 Jun 2017 09:11 #21562

• Stuart
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Thanks Pete for another great ride around the triangle. Perfect weather & great conditions for a winter ride. Thanks Lefty for doing tail duty all day & to Mark for all the running around & assisting where needed. Great day other than the drive home which took an extra 40 minutes. 

Marysville 11th June 14 Jun 2017 12:00 #21563

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Oh yeah, great loop you have there Pete. The tradition continues, Phil Randal would have been happy to see a WR250L out there. You prayed to the right imaginary friend because the weather and tracks couldn't have been better this far into winter. Loved the mix up of tracks and glad I had a crack at Strickland Spur albeit exhausting. A few riders slipping and sliding at times but no injuries noted. I'm always happy to assist and encourage if needed.
Keep up the great work Pete.
To all who came along, thanks for a great day.

PS, that bloody Black Spur....

Regards,
Lefty.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds