Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Marysville 12 Feb 2017

Marysville 12 Feb 2017 12 Feb 2017 21:41 #20140

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Melbourne weather is such a wonderful thing – nothing like a low pressure system to make a potentially hot summer day’s ride much more tolerable. 18 of us began the morning ride in light rain, which thankfully disappeared fairly quickly. However, the day stayed grey and overcast, making conditions fairly pleasant for pottering around the Marysville tracks.

My little AJP is currently in pieces whilst I try to find a 6-speed gearbox to suit it, so the XR200R was called into duty for the day. This little ‘red rocket’ has just had its 35th birthday, so it felt a little out of place amongst all the modern toys, but it did a sterling job for the day.

We toured the usual tracks within the triangle, dealing with just a hint of slippery clay in a few places. Most of the tracks were actually close to perfect – just enough moisture to keep them dust-free, but not enough to add any of that ‘treacherous’ glaze.

It was great to see the less experienced riders happy to tackle a few challenges, and there were plenty of hands ready to help out if needed, which is the whole aim of these days.

Mark took over the lead at one stage to show us a couple of new tracks that he had discovered – they are probably best left to a harder level ride, but they did look very interesting! We had a quick stop at the fire tower too, and it was good to see it was manned, even on a dreary day.

Lunch was at the creek below Marysville again, lounging around enjoying our sandwiches, and lots of gas-bagging involved.

We lost a couple of riders at the lunch stop, and a couple more as we prepared to head across to the Dom Dom Saddle side of the road. This brought numbers down to 14.

The tracks over that side of the road can be very slippery when it has recently rained, but apart from a lot of puddles, traction wasn’t really an issue. We blasted around the main tracks, and then headed back via a track that is a little tricky to follow. It started out as a fairly well defined pair of wheel ruts, and gradually became more overgrown as we progressed. It was somewhere in here that I took a wrong turn and the group got separated – it’s amazing how short scrubby bushes can hide other riders who are only a stone’s throw away from you. We managed to regroup, and found our way back to the wheel ruts again and on to the other end of the track.

3:30 back at the cars, with the speedo saying 107kms for the day – not a bad day at all!

Thanks to Mark and Lefty for doing tailman duties, and to everyone for making it another fun Sunday’s ride.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marysville 12 Feb 2017 12 Feb 2017 21:50 #20141

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Oh, and apparently a certain 'Fruit-Flan' loving rider was spotted at the Marysville bakery before 8:30am, but no sign of him at the start of the ride...guess the lure of the fresh coffee and tarts was overpowering! :)
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2017 21:51 by flipper.

Marysville 12 Feb 2017 12 Feb 2017 22:05 #20142

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
flipper wrote:
Oh, and apparently a certain 'Fruit-Flan' loving rider was spotted at the Marysville bakery before 8:30am, but no sign of him at the start of the ride...guess the lure of the fresh coffee and tarts was overpowering! :)

Spotted indeed.

I havn't started a ride in rain for years and i won't be changing now. I know - no dust - but I have to be able to see where I'm going and wet goggles and specs just don't work.

I did enjoy a fruit flan and a relax then back thru the spur (love that drive) to the Moto Guzzi cafe in Healsville and finally to Teds.

I had a nice day, thanks Flipper for getting me out of bed early.
It's just more time to be flat out!

Marysville 12 Feb 2017 13 Feb 2017 15:18 #20152

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Another great day Pete, the showers in the morning didnt worry us a bit. Just fantastic getting out on the FE in the middle of Feb on a 19 degree day. Lots of new tracks both in the morning and afternoon that i haven't done before which was great. I took over the tail duties in the afternoon which always gives you an opportunity to see some crazy stuff. Well Sunday was no different, I haven't seen a high speed high side for a long time and  for Ford (yes thats his name) he completed one and used his helmet as a grader to come to a stop. All ended well and I had a laugh when he told me he was flying to the USA today for work, gutsy effort. 
Anywho, congrats Pete and sometimes Mark. You've got a great loop going there.

Cheers,
Lefty. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: ford

Marysville 12 Feb 2017 13 Feb 2017 20:06 #20158

• karl
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Pete for organising this again, Mark for the tailman and local knowledge who dissapeared into the bush at the end of the day!   Now that I know who Lefty is I'll even thank him. :)

There were some really nice people in the group and was great to see 3 women as well.
She's going to hate me, but here's the Amtra unelegant get off narbethong
Well done.

The single track that turned into zero track was interesting.

Of course it started to rain just as we stopped for lunch.
If we can next time, I'll park my car at the lunch spot, and fire up a barbie for the half way mark.

Cant wait for the next one.

Cheers Karl
2005 BMW HP2
2017 KTM 500
(Super Tenere, zrx900,fj1200,fj1100,gpz1100,vf750,sr500,ts250) - all retired
Last Edit: 13 Feb 2017 20:06 by karl.
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds