Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 29 Dec 2016 08:53 #19533

• Michael N
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
It's been a couple of years since I was able to do one of Peter Ross's after Christmas rides and with this year the day landing on a public holiday I was in. Slight problem in the week before with the weather looking HOT on the 27th and a few different options tossed about as to which day would be best for rider comfort. I arrange with my boss if I worked the Tuesday I could have any of the other days off in that week. Finally it was decided that the ride was on Wednesday. After work I put the bike back together packed all my gear headed off and was  at O'tools Flat camping ground by about 8.00pm. I set up camp with 5  others and sat around the camp fire with a couple of refreshments.
One more rider Jeff arrived in the morning and our group of 7 were on the tracks by 9.30. With a fair bit of rain the day before the tracks were perfect, no dust and plenty of grip. I'm so used to the slippery conditions of Marysville it was a pleasure to turn a little harder into the corners and the bike to go were I pointed it.
At the 23km mark a new member Karl dropped his near new KTM resulting in a broken plastic fuel fitting and it was game over for him. As we were near the Eildon Jammo road Darren dinked him back to get his car and the ride continued about an hour later one man down.
From here we made our way to Mt Terrible to check out the new hut. Really nice little hut 6 days old no damage or graffiti yet!
Then off to Jamieson for fuel and lunch. It was noticeably hotter in the valley. With full tanks and tummies it was back up Politties track and into the hills with a much lower temp. Lots of ups and downs and onto the main road. A couple or the guys were a little weary so they hit the tar back to the cars. With the four remaining we did the best loop of the day. I was the new tail with Peter out front and Linton and Matt doing the corners we kept fairly close together. I had to ride the little 250 a little harder than normal but I had a blast keeping the others in sight except for P Air of course.
We packed up camp had a drink and chat and were on the road by about 4.00 I think.
Thanks to Peter for organising and leading this event also Darren for going tail. And the others Matt. Linton, Jeff. Karl for their company. It was really good to go up the afternoon before and spend some time with the other riders not just rush in, ride and hit the road home.

Cheers Michael N.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karl

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 29 Dec 2016 19:35 #19536

• karl
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Peter for organizing, and the blokes I met have gave me more confidence that I have joined the right club.
I have repaired the KTM, picked up a new plastic part on the way home in Ringwood.  So Am itching again to get back out.
2005 BMW HP2
2017 KTM 500
(Super Tenere, zrx900,fj1200,fj1100,gpz1100,vf750,sr500,ts250) - all retired

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 29 Dec 2016 21:35 #19539

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
G'Day Karl,

Don't know what you broke, but would it be something that we could carry a spare for or provide some protection for?
It's just more time to be flat out!

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 29 Dec 2016 22:33 #19540

• Peter R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Ken R wrote:
G'Day Karl,

Don't know what you broke, but would it be something that we could carry a spare for or provide some protection for?
He broke the Thingamejig which connects to the do-hicky just under the wotsy callit !!!
Yes you could carry one of the above, but with the dovalackies permently attatched it would be pointless !!!
Put that in ya Pipe n Smoke it Kenny   LOL 
Last Edit: 29 Dec 2016 22:33 by Peter R.

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 30 Dec 2016 08:53 #19542

• seano
  • Platinum Boarder
  • liv'n the moty life
  • Thank you received: 30
Peter R wrote:
Ken R wrote:
G'Day Karl,

He broke the Thingamejig which connects to the do-hicky just under the wotsy callit !!!
Yes you could carry one of the above, but with the dovalackies permently attatched it would be pointless !!!
hmmmm interesting, usually it's the spongulating gonglpad 
I just wanna ride me moty B)

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 30 Dec 2016 10:19 #19544

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 94
Thanks Pete,

It was a great ride, and camping out the night before was really good too. Glad we were not out there on Thursday.

Thanks to all who came along and made it such a great ride.

Look forward to next year.

Mat.
The older I get, the slower I was.

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 30 Dec 2016 11:01 #19546

• Peter R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
seano wrote:
Peter R wrote:
Ken R wrote:
G'Day Karl,

hmmmm interesting, usually it's the spongulating gonglpad 
Not this time young Seano, the Spongulating Gonglepod is located on the other side of the bike , beside the lower Trusqlar angle brace !!!

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 30 Dec 2016 11:07 #19547

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Ken R wrote:
G'Day Karl,

Looking forward to hearing from "you" Karl.  :)

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 30 Dec 2016 14:11 #19549

• karl
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
For those that want to know what broke, it is the fuel quick disconnect.
Its the plastic fitting that the fuel hose connects into.  KTM call it a clutch, its part no  5850701050030 and its a whopping $78.

Ive done some research and its a common failing on the KTM's.
But Ive found a better solution.  Seems like the fitting is common on other bikes including BMW, so some company have made fittings out of brass, Ive just ordered 2 from http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon1.html.

I assumed someone might like the spare one I bought for cost price.
2005 BMW HP2
2017 KTM 500
(Super Tenere, zrx900,fj1200,fj1100,gpz1100,vf750,sr500,ts250) - all retired

Eildon to Jamieson 28/12/16 30 Dec 2016 16:42 #19555

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Thanks for your reply Karl.

Getting a brass one or taking a spare plastic one sounds like good info to share with fellow club members.

One other thing with the quick disconnects is don't get any dirt in them when off the bike. We tried to get a Yamy one back together after a dewatering and it had the smallest bit of dirt inside that stopped it going together fully. Eventually it was spotted and removed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds