Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 09:35 #14224

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
It was another early start with the alarm going off at 4.15 but when you are heading for your favourite ridding area you know it's worth it, but what can you say about it  when you go for a ride their other than what a bloody fantastic day.
We met at 7.30 and at 8.30ish we headed up the road from the bridge and headed for Hickey Tk but turned off for Burgoiynes Tk, as usual the Rock Garden did not fail in slowing us all to manhandle our bikes and change line choice 3 or 4 times,  Matt was 1st up followed by Colin then myself.
It was this point we started shit stirring, Phil was next but then Matt and Phill walked down to help Lynton and Chris, someone took Lynton down a stick for the walk of shame whilst Matt rode his bike up for him,  Gary needed a extra hand, so Lynton and Phil got him going. A quick rest and we where off, at the top of Burgoiynes myself Colin and Matt where chewing the fat and colin suggested to Matt that he might need some air in his back tyre, Matt is so use to getting flats said awe fark it was hard before we left and Colin and him started taking the wheel off, before long the rest of the group arrived and before long Gary had takin over the puncture repair, but no one could find a leak other than a small knick, a quick patch on the knick and not long and we where off once more.
As usual it wasn't long before Lynton was passing me flying over the erosion  mounds at warp speed, most track name signs are missing which made it a challenge at times, Phil had his GPS with the last area ride route logged in it as back up. I got confused with Ben Cruchen rd and Ben Cruchen Creek Tk and headed in the wrong direction for a bit but soon worked it out and we where off in the wright direction once again, we did our 1st real river  crossing and got to a T intersection, as I was about to check my map Phil looking at his GPS pointed to the track to the left, ok seams right so off we went, a couple more decent river crossings and on we went, I was starting to feel uneasy after a few klm point as the usual small crossings where no where in sight, before long we where at a helipad so time to look at the map, very quickly I realised we where on Huggers Mnt Angus Tk which is normally our return track from Huggetts, awe well it is what it is so onwards to Huggetts for lunch. When I arrived at the crossing Mats bike was across and he was waist high in the river helping Phil who's bike had flamed out, I quickly remembered that the actual bike crossing point was further down the river so I lead the rest of the group via the much shallow route, once over we headed for the picnic tables for lunch and lots of laughs and shit stirring.  
Once lunch was over we headed of in the opposite direction that we normally would take heading up Ben Cruachan Tk taking in the awesome Avon river crossings, as we approached one of the bigger ones I could see a good spot to cross heading away from the normal exit into a spot of single, Matt was already in the river and looking ok so I followed him but before long it was up to the base of the seat, more power Willbar I was thinking, better take feet of the pegs fark that was a bad idea, that was like chucking out 2 anchors, more firkin power Will, just head for Matt he is out now, phew that was close as I exited, looking back I was pointing to the rest of the group to head for the single out point but Phill was heading for us, soon he had flamed out, as he was pushing his bike out Colin and Chris and Lynton was taking the easier crossing point, but Matt was calling Gary , come this way Gaz so him being the trusting bloke did so, he was looking like I felt when I was in their, more power, shit written all over his face and with 3 feet to go found the only big rock to rest the front wheel on, oups over the bike went, lucky only slightly bigger than a good puddle at this point. Phils bike had been hard to start all day, {Time for valves I think} so we where use to him cranking and cranking but soon it fired up and we where off, but not long and Gaz was on the radio, I think Ive done a plug Will, so we waited and in true Gaz style a call came back quickly, all done and on my way so off we went, all other crossings seamed to go fine, It was hot now with 29c on my dash it was a rest every 20klms and before long we where on Mnt Margaret tk for the run home.
Mnt Margaret is a beauty, great views, a real mix of terrain, like the whole day, before long the boys where sitting at the top of Hickey, we heading this way, awe no we are going back via Burgoynes and the Rock garden, and even though as I'm going through that tretchuruas 80 odd metre's section I was thinking fark Will why are we going this way then to views came into play, now I remember why, I was really feeling it by now, my hands , feet where killing me, {Hang over from a hard week working at home} even uncomfortable to sit down by now as the monkey but was kicking inn, at the end of this section of Burgoynes Gary was their 1st and I arrived, started having a chat about what else we can do as I sucked my camel back dry, sorry Gaz no more, so back down to bottom of Hickeys and to the main rd and back to the cars around 3.30ish for a slow load up, couple of adult fizzy drinks  and a bath in the river to wash off the days dust and of coarse more shit stirring.
A big thanks to Matt for the lift, Gary for tailing 95% of the day and looking after the group, and to the rest of the group for tagging along, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. To sum up, up to lunch time was a gradual build to around 25 degrees C but then after lunch a jump to 29ish, but  even though it was hot the dust wasn't as bad as expected, their was quiet a few puddles around so must have had a good drop of rain leading up, rocks, yes their was lots, both big and small, Stair cases to climb and descend, water as expected the river crossings where awesome with some being low but others deep, maybe due to 4wd digging holes, a good steady pace all day, lots of laughs, no other bikes other than 2 on the return on Burgoynes, a handful go 4wds spread across the day, lots of Goanna's Roos and Wallabies. 
Chris is a mate of Phil's and relatively new to off-road ridding and even though was buggered by the 100k mark held it together for the rest of day and we finished right on the 150klm mark. 
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 09:57 #14227

• Gary Clarke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Nice ride report Wilbur ,  thanks for a great day out,  not a lot of dust and not tooooo hot ,  nice swim in the river at the end of the day, doesn't, get   Much better  :)

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 10:53 #14228

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Sounds like you all had a great ride, going by ya report Will, I know where you took the wrong turn & ended up coming into Huggetts from the other way, maybe I should have come along to show you the way :)

Thinking about you fellas riding around the Avon Wilderness, brought back memories, when my two brothers & some members from MCRCV, one of the MCRCV members was none other then the Late Bert Flood rode there many moons ago, it was a very hot day & when we arrived at Huggetts Crossing, Bert got off his bike walked to the river edge turned around & just fell backwards into the water :)  
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2016 16:37 by Frankieboy.

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 13:25 #14229

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Frankieboy wrote:
Sounds like you all had a great ride, going by ya report Will, I know where you took the wrong turn & ended up coming into Huggetts from the other way, maybe I should have come along to show you the way :)
You are probably right but upon reflection it could have been harder going the normal way as near the Huggetts end of Ben Cruachan had some big step ups either way you missed a great day Frankie Boy. We may have needed to help you at the Burgoynes rock garden but otherwise I think you would have been fine mate.
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 13:56 #14231

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Willbar wrote:
Frankieboy wrote:
You are probably right but upon reflection it could have been harder going the normal way as near the Huggetts end of Ben Cruachan had some big step ups either way you missed a great day Frankie Boy. We may have needed to help you at the Burgoynes rock garden but otherwise I think you would have been fine mate.

Yeah that rock garden was always a hard one to get up mate.

Happy it's not called Frankie's rocks garden :)
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2016 13:57 by Frankieboy.

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 18:25 #14239

• colinp
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi all, great report Will, thanks for a fantastic ride. With the rock garden and Matt's 'could be' flat tyre, we  travelled around 12 km in just under two hours. From that point on it was great riding. No matter how confident I get on a bike, I don't think I will ever be able to jump the erosion mounds like Lynton. Thanks Gary and Matt for tail duties.
Looking forward to the next ride. Cheers Colin

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 21:28 #14250

• phile
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks Will for putting on the ride and Gary and Matt for tail duties.
I loved the whole ride but the best part was the swim in the river at the end.

I found the starting problem - It was a stretched spring on the starter clutch. Common problem on many motorbikes apparently. 
Crap design if you ask me. The spring shouldn't be stuffed after 6000km!!!
I'll replace it and should be good as new again. Apparently the identical part is used on Honda's, Triumphs and Huskys.

The valve clearances were fine - it was the starter clutch not driving the crank hard enough and causing slow turn over and backfiring.
Attachments:
Current rides:
Husky/Berg 2014 TE300
Italian Husky 2011 TE449 (couple of them)
Royal Enfield Continental GT650
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2016 21:32 by phile.

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 22:12 #14256

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
phile wrote:
Thanks Will for putting on the ride and Gary and Matt for tail duties.
I loved the whole ride but the best part was the swim in the river at the end.

I found the starting problem - It was a stretched spring on the starter clutch. Common problem on many motorbikes apparently. 
Crap design if you ask me. The spring shouldn't be stuffed after 6000km!!!
I'll replace it and should be good as new again. Apparently the identical part is used on Honda's, Triumphs and Huskys.

The valve clearances were fine - it was the starter clutch not driving the crank hard enough and causing slow turn over and backfiring.
Im glad you had a great day and it's a simple fix, if you can be bothered can you keep us updated on the fix for the benefits of the other members. Did Chris enjoy the day as much as you did ?
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2016 22:13 by Willbar.

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 22:15 #14257

• phile
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
/quote]
Im glad you had a great day and it's a simple fix, if you can be bothered can you keep us updated on the fix for the benefits of the other members. Did Chris enjoy the day as much as you did ?[/quote]

Chrys loved it. He said he slept extremely deeply last night.
Current rides:
Husky/Berg 2014 TE300
Italian Husky 2011 TE449 (couple of them)
Royal Enfield Continental GT650

Chaynes Bridge Avon Wilderness 6/2/16 07 Feb 2016 22:20 #14259

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
phile wrote:
/quote]
Im glad you had a great day and it's a simple fix, if you can be bothered can you keep us updated on the fix for the benefits of the other members. Did Chris enjoy the day as much as you did ?

Chrys loved it. He said he slept extremely deeply last night.[/quote]Was he able to walk today ?
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds