Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wombat 22/11

Wombat 22/11 23 Nov 2015 21:23 #13032

• KennyB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
The opportunity to get out on my bike close to home with some grown ups (I predominantly cruise with Tyler on his pw80) was too good good to pass up so I jumped on board a ride out in wombat yesterday. The ride was advertised as a cruisey level 2.5 and I thought that sounded like something I could handle, I was wrong. Less than 20 minutes into the ride I realized that I was in over my head after a few near misses and almost washing out on a few corners trying to keep the 'cruisey' pace and called it quits, excusing myself from the group and setting off for the car, figured I'd rather stay in one piece rather than push my limits. So I headed off for the car solo and decided that since I'd made the effort to get out of bed on a Sunday morning I'd make the most of it and explore some very basic tracks. While cruising along a main fire trail found a nice straight and decided to open up the wr426 and get it through the gears, not long after hitting 5th gear, fairly moving, at least 80kmh if not more, it all turned pear shaped. Out of nowhere jumped a kangaroo and I had only enough time to let got of the throttle before t boning him sending me over the bars, head first into the road and into 3 or 4 end or end tumbles, I actually remember thinking it was the end for me, scary stuff. I got to my feet straight away, gathered my bearings and went straight to search for my phone which along with the rest of the stuff from what used to be my back pack was spread down the road and into the bushes. Called the missus for a rescue and waited in disbelief of what had just happened. Walked up and down the road in shock for a while, gathering my belongings and bits and pieces of my bike which stretched about 50m of road, the first bit of debris being 30m back from where the bike ended up! My wife and kids then arrived and helped me get the bike onto my ute and set off for the ER. I was seen to straight away at Bacchus marsh hospital and given the all clear and sent home a couple of hours later. The damage done to me was surprisingly not too bad, gravel rash on my hip/lower back and shoulder, sore lower legs in particular the points of my heels and left ankle but no breaks anywhere. The bike was not so lucky with the headlight and speedo missing, left radiator bent and broken, bars bent, bar busters took a beating, bent/broken levers including gear lever, fair damage to the lh side plastics and front wheel guard. My helmet obviously will need to be replaced and I need to have a closer look at my pressure suit, I think one of the zips that hold the armor on might've broken and I need a New Jersey. Anyway it was a freak accident which probably shouldn't have happened but could've ended much, much worse.  I'm definitely in a lot more pain today through my entire body but I won't be letting it keep me down, no doubt I'll be out there pulling the bike apart by next weekend but probably won't be back on it until after Christmas. Two things I realistically knew but had driven home to me in a big way was 1:expect the unexpected at all times, don't get complacent and 2: never go riding alone, if my phone had not been in tact who knows how long I'd've been there. Sorry for the long paragraph but the return button doesn't seem to work when on my phone.
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2015 21:25 by KennyB.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wombat 22/11 23 Nov 2015 21:48 #13035

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
KennyB you are one lucky man, you have mentioned the lessons you have learned, well done.

Hope to see you back out soon.

PS Any sign of the roo?
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2015 21:49 by Ken R.

Wombat 22/11 23 Nov 2015 21:52 #13036

• KennyB
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Ken, unfortunately for the roo, he didn't make it

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 06:18 #13037

• John T
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Brumm Brumm
  • Thank you received: 42
Lucky Lad Kenny
Roo's are a  bit nasty to meet like that but ended in your favour you 1 roo 0
will we see you guys at the Christmas  kids day ride ?

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 07:29 #13038

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Nasty story, Kenny.

Glad to hear that the damage (to you) is not too serious.

In most 'adventure' sports, the adage "never go alone" is one of the first things you should adopt. You've highlighted why!

All the best for a speedy recovery.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 07:35 #13039

• KennyB
  • Expert Boarder
John T wrote:
Lucky Lad Kenny
Roo's are a  bit nasty to meet like that but ended in your favour you 1 roo 0
will we see you guys at the Christmas  kids day ride ?
      Yeah we will still be there John, Tyler will ride on the day and I will help out wherever I can.

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 07:38 #13040

• KennyB
  • Expert Boarder
Serge C wrote:
Nasty story, Kenny.

Glad to hear that the damage (to you) is not too serious.

In most 'adventure' sports, the adage "never go alone" is one of the first things you should adopt. You've highlighted why!

All the best for a speedy recovery.
As a 4wding enthusiast 'never go alone' is something I usually live by, this time however I was out there and after separating from the group was just taking the long way back to the car, Murphy's law I suppose

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 09:30 #13041

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Yuk story Kenny.
Glad all damage is repairable and your just stories instead history.

Just out of curiosity, the group you rode with did or didn't offer for someone to accompany you back? 
And did they do any checks on you after with your car still in the car park? 

See ya at John's, Al

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 09:49 #13042

• KennyB
  • Expert Boarder
Al wrote:
Yuk story Kenny.
Glad all damage is repairable and your just stories instead history.

Just out of curiosity, the group you rode with did or didn't offer for someone to accompany you back? 
And did they do any checks on you after with your car still in the car park? 

See ya at John's, Al
the sweep of the group I was with got me to a fire trail but I insisted on sending him back with the group, I know the area quite well, it's where I do most of my riding. In terms of the car park, my wife had to drive her car, swap it with mine so that we could get the bike home and we went and picked her car up later in the day. A couple of other guys (different group) stopped and stayed with me for a while to make sure I was ok and caught up with the original group later in the day whilst they were waiting for an ambulance after another off in which a guy broke his leg and made them aware of what had happened to me, I did receive a few well wishes and what not from the group later in the evening. 

Wombat 22/11 24 Nov 2015 11:01 #13043

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 94
Glad to hear you are ok and on the mend there Kenny.

Bits for the bike should not be hard to get, try Just Dirt Bikes in Altona Nth for used parts, especially plastics. Depending on how bad the radiator is a fix at Race Radiators in Dandenong may be possible and cheaper than a 2nd hand or new one.

I have some bark busters I probably do not need so you can have them, but Just Dirt Bikes and City West in Hoppers usually have a selection of second hand ones. Ones I have are black rather than blue, but then black and blue might match you for a little while. :)
The older I get, the slower I was.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds