Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stradbroke 1/8/15

Stradbroke 1/8/15 03 Aug 2015 12:09 #11449

• johnny d
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Would like to start by thanking Jeff for riding tail for 95% of the day and Al for letting Jeff off the leash for a blast in the arvo, I can still hear you laughing as I slid my way around Telephone track trying to get away from you - that didn't happen but it was so much fun,, also thanks to everyone else who came to play in my backyard. The weather was well and truly on our side with only a light shower first thing and then cool and overcast for the rest of the day - -perfect!
 We certainly didn't cover the distance I had hoped for, due to a couple of issues, firstly for some reason the cornerman system failed, which led to a rider taking a detour down probably one of the most physical tracks out there, one I had purposefully bypassed due to a couple of guys on the ride that I hadn't ridden with before, so anyways that held us up for an hour and then jeff had a tree jump out infront of his bike resulting in the need of a trailside repair, so a bit more time was lost,  I made the decision to shorten the morning loop and head back to the cars for lunch, a late lunch ,but oh well. We said goodbye to half of the punters at this stage, told you, you needed to be bike fit to ride here all day.  So after a quick bite (c'mon Jeff) 7 of us headed out for the "reward" of the gullies and very narrow tracks close by... There is a really nice flowing track that had the race faces on ,what a pleasure to ride, any little mistake and bang you got passed, not that we were racing or anything :D.
       So how did the cornerman system fail,, I'm not entirely sure, but from what I can gather, somehow 2 bikes ended up on the corner and one bike wasn't facing entirely down the track we were riding, I know that the bike I left on that corner was, so can only assume it was the second bike,  unfortunately the rider that went the wrong way was new to the club , when I rang him in the evening to see how he pulled up,  he did say he would be back, a bit fitter, but back none the less, so that's a good thing.
    Thanks all , I enjoyed myself..... see ya's on the next one............................................
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2015 12:14 by johnny d.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Stradbroke 1/8/15 03 Aug 2015 18:29 #11455

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
What a grouse day.
Got a feeling a few punters are currently rethinking the term "bike fit!!!!"  :-P

Thanks Johnny for the day/weekend and Bob!!!
Even though the ride lost a bit of its usual flow and was cut short due to time restraints, it was still a magic day!!!!
I haven't ridden that hard and fast for so long for a very long time, still smiling as I type this report. I even manage to fit in a helmet destroying crash on the day. Closer inspection today showed quiet a nice crack and impact squish to the inner foam, so feel much better today with the sore neck and head ache. ;)
I wasn't surprised of the mass existes at lunch, the place does trap new players to play to hard to early. No matter how much the ride leader tries to get the point across?
The arvo loop was just surreal, with poor Johnny getting no rest as Row and I ran him down from corner to corner. The smiles were beaming on everyone on that loop. Well other than the rev limiter on the Yami, that coped a hiding.

Thanks to all involved for a great weekend, yes weekend I rode Sunday as well just to make sure.
Till the next one, Al

Stradbroke 1/8/15 04 Aug 2015 10:45 #11479

• MJ
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Johnny for putting on a great day. I am the culprit who didn’t listen about pacing
yourself; I was just enjoying myself too much. Went the wrong way (honest
mistake) and ran out of legs before making it back to the cat park, big thanks
to Jeff, Mat and Willbar for looking after me and getting me back. I certainly
got a reality check on my ride fitness and age, but I am not going to take up
golf like the misses wants and I am determined to get myself up to a level where
I can come with you guys again if I am not banned

Stradbroke 1/8/15 04 Aug 2015 19:19 #11490

• johnny d
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
MJ wrote:
I am determined to get myself up to a level where
I can come with you guys again if I am not banned
That's the attitude Mark, cans of beer always work to ensure you aren't banned
:D,,, catch you out there again when you're ready 

Stradbroke 1/8/15 07 Aug 2015 20:29 #11530

• Jeff Davey
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
What a Crackin ride Johnny! Loved the variety of terrain,from the soul destroying whoops in the morning to the smooth flow of the arvo.
As tailman I didn't see too much of what was happing up front, but there was
plenty going on down back. We were only three corners from the car park
and there was a bike on the ground. Oh this could be a long day but the guys settled at
bit after that. Found Al on a corner not long after thinking we had lost a
couple of our gun riders, namely Rowen and Nath. Didn't see them pass. He said “probably blinked
and missed them” because they were at the regroup. Caught up to Al abit later in the morning just picking himself up off the ground. Gee's Al did
you do that damage to that poor tree? Al's score: six squarer inches of
bark removed. Tree's score: one helmet peak. Dead heat I reckon. Wasn't long after that Mark took a wrong way. When Iarrived Matt Creasey had gone after him. Shortly after Matt returns. "F**k
that” he said “I couldn’t catch him and that's the worst track. I thought
I was going to die" We waited for a couple of minutes for Mark to return
but it was clear we had to go find him so I roped Lynton into coming with me.
Matt was right. The track was brutal. Soft sand and endless meter deep
whoops. Found Mark making his we back to us. The next track was my turn for trouble. Managed to hitbranch with my left hand radiator. While picking myself up there’s green water
going everywhere. Shit I thought. Jumped straight on the radio to call for
assistance. Thankfully Willbar heard my call and returned to help assess the
situation. The neck of the filler cap had tried to pull off the tank. Some
metal putty fixed it up real good. Didn't leak again. Thanks Will.As the morning was now well and truly over Johnny wasmaking bee line for camp and some well-earned lunch. Mark’s little excursion
into hell turned out to be a bit much and his energy levels had dropped way too
low so we did what all trail side surgeons do and filled him up with jelly
snakes. That seemed to work and he made it back to camp no prob’s. The arvo ride was a lot less dramatic. That is when wewere on the right track that this, but we enjoyed that track Johnny. The most
fun I had for the weekend was on the last track of the day. Al had taken over
as tailman and I was off after Johnny. I entered Telephone track about three
corners behind Johnny. Shortly after I was on his tail. Johnny wasn’t
about to pullover so we were into it. Johnny got all out of shape crossing
a small log but reined it in. There was a lot of rear wheel steering going on
as we jumped from corner to corner. Johnny stalled it in a small gully. He was
swearing flat out trying to restart the bike. I thought “I’ve got him now” but
alas there wasn’t room to get around so we continued on to the end of the track
grinning like fools.Big thanks to Johnny for leading this ride. Don’t make itto long before the next one.
He who dies with the most TOYS wins
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds