Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Waterless Coolant

Waterless Coolant 10 Jan 2015 19:12 #7178

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Has anyone used Evans waterless coolant. I was reading about it and talking to a guy in an oil depot who said heaps of riders were buying it. The advantage I see is it never boils, does not expand or contract so does not stress the hoses and never needs changing. Seems it would cost around $40.00 to do a dirt bike. 
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Waterless Coolant 10 Jan 2015 19:53 #7179

• Wiggy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I have heard of the stuff, but not used it.
Seems some blokes are concerned that you may not get any warning that your motor is extremely hot as it doesn't spew coolant out like a regular coolant does when temperatures get excessive.

Waterless Coolant 10 Jan 2015 22:28 #7180

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
I was talking to their rep at Philip island who said lots of performance car guys are using it with good results. Cars have a temp gauge or warning light to give an alert for excessive temps which no dirt bikes I know of have.
It's just more time to be flat out!

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 08:04 #7181

• Josh B
  • Fresh Boarder
I have used it for years and never had any issues. You just need to smart on how you treat your bike and it's fine. Fitting a rad fan is a must. The coolant does go a funny colour after a year or so. 

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 08:25 #7182

• twisti3s
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Ken R wrote:
I was talking to their rep at Philip island who said lots of performance car guys are using it with good results. Cars have a temp gauge or warning light to give an alert for excessive temps which no dirt bikes I know of have.
Some dirt bikes do have lights and temp gauge. Trailtec has aftermarket  temp and warn light. Normally if your bike overheating  you have an issue maybe your jetting, rad cap etc. Sometimes  you may need aftermarket  fan if your using the bike at slow speed high revs or at a stand still. I use engine ice or motorex. motorex has new specs for ktm. What bike do you have ? I am more than happy  to have a look at the issue in my workshop.
Beta 300RR MY15 - Serviced and race-prepped by Moto Melbourne

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 08:40 #7183

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
My old 525 had a great early warning system before I fitted a fan, just ask everyone that was on that John T Glenlyon ride all those years ago, everyone new my bike was getting hot :) the trail tech Voyager I use on my bike now has an option to read cooling system temperature but I get enough character building from my ridding without worrying about my bike temperature.
As far a coolant goes ,I use european quality anti freeze anti boil and works fine along with a fan, as long as I leave an expansion gap in the radiator, otherwise it just comes out of the overflow till its at a happy level in the cooling system. Ian, do you have a reason to use it, or is it just preventative ?
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 08:48 #7184

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
My Husky is not overheating and the fan works well.  The waterless coolant just seemed like a good idea. No corrosion ever, no or little pressure in the cooling system, no way for steam pockets to form. Never needs to be replaced. I was just thinking it may be a better product than ordinary coolant.  
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 11:30 #7186

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Ian Robinson wrote:
My Husky is not overheating and the fan works well.  The waterless coolant just seemed like a good idea. No corrosion ever, no or little pressure in the cooling system, no way for steam pockets to form. Never needs to be replaced. I was just thinking it may be a better product than ordinary coolant.  
Sounds like the go, I guess as long as they guarantee the protection qualities, especially since your bike is getting little use you definitely need some anti corrosive properties in it.  Ian if you want to buy a 5 litre I will go halfs with you as I would like to give it a try. My bike holds just over a litre so that would give me a spare change if anything unforeseen happened. I have become good at catching and saving the old stuff when I have to remove my radiators but it's nice to have some spare. Let me know Ian.
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2015 11:31 by Willbar.

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 19:48 #7200

• twisti3s
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Looked into it. will be interesting to hear your results. 
Beta 300RR MY15 - Serviced and race-prepped by Moto Melbourne

Waterless Coolant 11 Jan 2015 20:54 #7204

• Jeff Davey
  • Platinum Boarder
Another trick is yo use the concerntrated products strait ( don't add water )
He who dies with the most TOYS wins
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds