Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Billy Goats Bluff Tk

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 20:27 #6927

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

this was as close a video I could find on you tube, wind it forward to 5 mins to see the start of the slightly rough stuff and persist to the end. It starts from the helipad about 1/2 way I think
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
Last Edit: 29 Dec 2014 20:28 by Willbar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 21:09 #6929

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
The condition in the video seems about average. I have seen it much worse and much better. 
There was a time when going to Wonnangatta from Licola was considered a real experience. Even for a good group of riders it was usually a two day trip. Both ends of the valley were a serious challenge. These days all the hard stuff has been diverted around. There used to be a great track which came off Zeka spur track and went across to Cobbler Lake. It is no more.  It is a real pity that riders/drivers these days only get the easy tracks. You never needed single tracks "back in the old days" because the normal tracks were hard enough.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 21:33 #6930

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Ian Robinson wrote:
The condition in the video seems about average. I have seen it much worse and much better. 
There was a time when going to Wonnangatta from Licola was considered a real experience. Even for a good group of riders it was usually a two day trip. Both ends of the valley were a serious challenge. These days all the hard stuff has been diverted around. There used to be a great track which came off Zeka spur track and went across to Cobbler Lake. It is no more.  It is a real pity that riders/drivers these days only get the easy tracks. You never needed single tracks "back in the old days" because the normal tracks were hard enough.
Not sure what is was called as Gary led but the track we took from the pinnacles on the left as you head away from them sounds like one of them, just glad we where not going the other way as it was tight and rocky with a few big step downs along the way and very overgrown. I think nowadays 4wd is much more popular so tracks are being more used which probably means more service to them perhaps and Im sure BGB could do with a visit from an man with a machine or two. I read some think its the steepest track in Victoria but I think Ive been on steeper but it might have just been my imagination and perhaps Robbo could advise.  
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 21:38 #6931

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Oh yes, what a great video of the bluff, would have been a lot shorter in time with a handlebar cam :D :D

That view at the start showing the climb on the other side of the valley - AWESOME!!! It always put a lump in your throat and got the heart racing. I always had/have to remind myself on those big climbs to keep breathing hard, and it makes a difference. When are we going to go???? 

Like Ian I've been up and down a few times with the first one on a PE250B from a Buckland Valley camp I think, also took the KDX200 up but the easiest climb I remember was on the Husky AE430 mountain climber, what a bike, what great memories.

The scariest time on the bluff was in Norm and Pats troopy. After picking crab apples coming back from Dargo the bumpy descent down the bluff broke the apple box and suddenly the footwell was full of apples. Pat had to get out of her seatbelt quickly and lean over to throw apples out the window as quick as she could so Norm could get use of the pedals back. At the time I was thinking "Fark this ain't looking good" but later we had a good laugh.
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 29 Dec 2014 21:51 by Ken R.

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 21:59 #6932

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
There is another good hill around the back of Talbet Ville working your way into the back of Grant. Not the views of Billy Goats, but kicks Billy Goats arse for steepness. Only hill ive ever stalled the cruzier in low range first. Billy goats is a cool track both 4'b or bike and used to be another great track on the Dargo side of it that ran off to the ride near the end.
Al

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 22:13 #6933

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
I would be surprised to hear that BGB is the steepest in Vic. I have never considered it a hard track either up or down. I have been on plenty that are steeper. Two that I know of are Hope track which ran from near the top of Mt Terrible down to the big River Valley road and the other one I can't remember the name of but ran from the valley and straight up toDinner Plain/ the Hotham Road. Oh, and another one in the now Avon Wilderness area. I never drove Hope track, the other two were seriously scary in a 4wd. I don't know anyone who could ride up Hope track and anyone who rode down crashed. It was closed after a number of 4wders were killed after flipping/rolling their 4wds. There was a an AMTRA ride that went down there in the wet. About 15 bikes all laying on the ground, you could not walk back up to get your bike, you needed to crawl, and then try and pick the bike up and bull dog it down in gear with the front brake locked.  Quite amusing at the time.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2014 06:56 by Ian Robinson.

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 29 Dec 2014 23:23 #6934

• Wiggy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
The track you may be thinking of Al is Collingwood Spur.
Been  at the top of BGB in a foot of snow and half way down we were kicking up dust.
Sarah Spur is a long way down, but a bit of a freeway when we did it 4 weeks ago.

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 30 Dec 2014 00:13 #6935

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
lol at the tryhard triton at 25mins. Word of advice, turn off the traction control system. The system cuts the power of the engine when wheel spin is detected, really handy on steep uphills with loose rock.

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 30 Dec 2014 07:31 #6936

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
As I thought Robbo I didnt think it was that steep just hang the fark on and hope for the best was the only way, at some parts was to just hop over the holes between the imbeded rocks. Im sure some would hate it and some would revel in its challenges and one day we will ride it again but as a average very unfit trailbike rider it was a great achievement to ride it. The loop we did on the day was 200klm and even though an awesome challenge in its self the real challenges came after BGB with the 80klm cruise home , the minds where spot on but the bodys where weak. But as I said Robbo load up your bike and go ride it in its current condition as im sure you will love it.
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2014 07:34 by Willbar.

Billy Goats Bluff Tk 30 Dec 2014 10:30 #6940

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Wiggy.
The track I remember is out of either Bull town or Hog town? No map with me to check. Was the most interesting hand throttle clutch pop hill restart i've ever done, especially as it was my old man at the wheel of my car.
Al
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds