Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: KTM 300 Chassis resto

KTM 300 Chassis resto 20 Oct 2014 19:07 #5675

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Well my 2011 model KTM 300 has ha some fun in the quick 12mths I have owned it. The original powered coating was peeling from the lower frame, the original front rim was like a 50 cent piece and the rear was scratched to buggery. I had never touched the chassis bearings so I decided whilst having a short break from riding that I would strip her down.
So with a few days of work a few weeks ago I set about stripping it down.
Day 1 - spent 4 hrs turning it into a bare frame including knocking out bearing shells and re tapping threads, next few hrs cleaning and sanding and under coating and as its only a frame which is mainly covered I sprayed it wet on wet with the 2 pak top coat of the 70s vitamin C colour from Valiant. 
Day 2 - Stripped old tyres and delaced the rims and polished the hubs and then fitted the new spokes and new very hard to get Blue rims, laced and trued it was time to fit new set of Pirelli tyres and new ultra heavy duty tubes. Then it was swing arm arm bush time replacing the bushes and bearings and the lower shock pivot and rear chain guide, touch up the paint on the rear disc guard, strip forks and replace the old SKF fork seals with new ones, only cause they are a year old, replace the old and reassemble and fit SKF mud scrappers. Replace missing safety clip on the front calliper and de mud the front and rear callipers.
Day 3 - Remove old seat cover and fit new west coast blue seat cover, start assembly by fitting the triple clamp new bearing cones an cleaning the triple clamp and fitting the new bearings and assembling . Fit the fork legs and bars to the triple clamps.
Clean the motor down and buff the motor mounting bolts and the swing arm bolt and fit the motor into the frame. Replace the carby and motor vent tubes and service the loom and refit the wiring loom to the frame. Refit the swing arm and replace the rear shocker top bush and refit the rear shocky. Fit coil and voltage reg to frame and rear brake assembly and run cables and tubes. 
Day 4 - Starting to look a little more like a bike with the fitment of the radiators and hoses an guards after cleaning them all carefully. 
In with the Anti Freeze an fit the new quick throttle assembly and fit the new blue grips and KTM donuts, fit new start and stop switches and light control switch, bleed the clutch, "shit" got some brake fluid on the new paint, quick was down for a touch up later, cleaned and touched up the black on my old hammer head shifter, fitted the shifter and cleaned and fitted the brake pedal after regressing the pedal bearings and replaced the rear brake rod end and adjusted.
Fitted the foot pegs and frame guards, chain guide and replaced the chain, fitted the wheels and adjusted the chain tension, fitted the speedo and wired, started fitting the new plastics including a new front air box section and refitted the rear subframe after cleaning and the rear guard. fitted the new headlamp to the new surround and fitted my new LED spot lights to the existing front blinker bracket and wired to the high beams and fitted the front guard and headlight. Fitted new exhaust mounts and fitted a new FMX engine pipe and my new second hand genuine muffler which I purchased a while ago.  Painted the bash plate and cleaned its mounting brackets and fitted them to the frame.
Added new clear protection pads to top frame crossbar.
Day 5 - Fire the engine up and bleed the cooling system. Found fan had a dodgy wire connection so replace it with a new connector. 
Fit new SBS Lithium battery and boy does this thing crank it over quick compared to the old MotoBat.  Fitted the tank permanently and fitted the new rad shrouds. Fitted a fresh air cleaner and new air box cover and aligned the forks and triple clamp and tension the new bolts.
Fitted the new engine pipe guard, replace the old ego hand guard and fork guards with black ones this time in a hope they look better for longer than the white ones did. Fitted the horn and fixed another dodgy connector. 
Day 6 - Graphics time, with the first being the rear guard them the side panels and front guard and headlight mask, then fork guards and radiator covers, then clear over the front and rear guards in an attempt to get some longer life out of there finish.
Refit the steg pegs after cleaning them up, Tidy cable ties etc touch up that paint where the brake fluid got at it, and take some shots to show you the finished results.

s1286.photobucket.com/user/KAYTM1/slideshow/
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
Last Edit: 21 Oct 2014 19:19 by Willbar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

KTM 300 Chassis resto 20 Oct 2014 20:18 #5681

• Paul Dwyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
sounds like a trade in would have been easier & with all that blue you must have a soft spot for a Yamaha Willbar

KTM 300 Chassis resto 20 Oct 2014 20:26 #5682

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
No way Paul, bike is setup, springs, rekluse clutch and hand brake, pivot pegs, stag pegs, bash plate, hand guards radiator guards, solid rear disc, GPS dash, cooling fan, safari tank and the list goes on, and besides I enjoy working on my bike. No not yamaha, Berg KTM and new Husky.
Photos coming as soon as I can resize them in Photo Bucket :)
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014 20:27 by Willbar.

KTM 300 Chassis resto 21 Oct 2014 06:34 #5684

• Timmers
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2019 HCR Coordinator
  • Thank you received: 48
Good stuff! I'm interested to see the final result!

KTM 300 Chassis resto 21 Oct 2014 09:45 #5687

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Will,    Great stuff!  Many years ago, like about 40, I rebuilt my 35 Plymouth from the floor up,  as original as I could retain. It still runs, has full rego and I take it out a couple of times a year.  A satisfying achievement when completed and you can justifiably feel proud of having got there.
            Keep it up!
Phil R. 

KTM 300 Chassis resto 21 Oct 2014 14:40 #5690

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Good one Will :):) 
It's just more time to be flat out!
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds