Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bright young person

Bright young person 03 Sep 2014 13:27 #4723

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
That was a surprising, yet heart felt response, Nath.  Given your field of employment. i can see where (and why) you're coming from.  I'm sure Ian (and the others who responded) meant no offense, much akin to the age old Aussie tradition of sending the young apprentice to get a can of striped paint or a left handed hammer (or the electrical equivalent).

As you say, no one fell out of the womb, equipped with all the knowledge necessary to survive in this world.  We ALL learn, day by day.  I know I have employed some kids who have left me wondering how they are gonna get on.  We teach them what we can, some take it on board, others just know better!  I'm sure if time permitted, Ian would have given this lad the benefit of his years, whether the kid accepted it is another question altogether

Please accept that this thread is just a bit of harmless fun, aimed at someone other than me for a change.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bright young person 03 Sep 2014 13:48 #4725

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Thanks to those for a vote of tolerance.   Our species can certainly do with some at the moment.
Phil R.

Bright young person 03 Sep 2014 14:06 #4726

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Sorry you took our bit of fun the wrong way Nath.

I have helped to train many apprentices after being one myself. Yes i was sent to the store for a "long weight" and came back after a "long wait" etc etc all part of the learning curve.

However, I am still coming to grips with the new age of "not much common sense" and do try to help whenever possible.
It's just more time to be flat out!

Bright young person 03 Sep 2014 16:01 #4729

• nathanstott
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
In my line of work I see this all to often, for those that don't know I'm a Union Official for the Electrical Trades Union working in the Construction Industry.
I don't have an issue with what anyone has said, I just look at it from a different angle, and give the kid the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are known, for all I know he may be a moron, and for all you know he may not.
Most of the time when someone is considered useless, stupid or having no clue about what they are doing, it's because no one has invested the time to train young people and apprentices properly, the key word here being properly. Some kids need someone to  take them under their wing and put the effort in to make sure that they understand what they are supposed to do and why.
The major part of the problem, and I'm mainly talking Construction Industry here, but it would apply to most industries these days, is that program's and deadlines are so tight and Contractors have gone in so cheap on price to get the job that they do not have the time to train apprentices properly, because they will lose money.
Some kids are mechanically minded and pick things up pretty quickly and are confident with what they have to do pretty much from the get go.
Others aren't so lucky, they lack confidence second guess themselves and rather than ask a stupid question, they make a stupid mistake, and  then they are cast aside as useless or stupid, and left to do menial tasks because no one has the time to train them because the job has to be done.
These are the ones that need someone to put in some extra effort so they become a tradesman or qualified but unfortunately no one has the time for it anymore.
I also blame the destruction of the Technical School system, I won't go into that or this post will go forever.
In saying all that, some kids/people just aren't suited to the job they have chosen no matter how much effort someone puts in.
We are all different, no matter how much you think you know, you don't know everything.
All I'm saying is sometimes people need to be given the benefit of the doubt, as there's usually a reason why people are like they are.
Last Edit: 03 Sep 2014 16:50 by nathanstott.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds