Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Track Conditions Around Licola...?

Track Conditions Around Licola...? 29 Jan 2023 17:01 #36271

• kerrywill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Track Conditions Around Licola
Not sure where to post this …but here it is!
Planning a few days riding north of Licola with Don, Bruce and a few other 'old hands' revisiting/checking out some old haunts…on the ‘old bikes’. Prior to our departure I am seeking any thoughts/input on what some of the tracks on our old hunting grounds are like these days...Butcher Country, The Caledonia down from Howitt Plains, DingoHill and Mt Margaret Tck..... Been 40+ years  last visits to these. While always steep and rocky, with the 'occasional' river crossing, these days things seem to have changed somewhat due to the proliferation of 4WDs with the attendant bottomless wheel ruts in awkward spots a lot looser/chewed up surfaces in places, and rock ledges that didn't seem to be there back then! Forestry/DELWP/...have also seemed to have done a lot of realignment since my riding youth. I believe Dingo Hill ascent has been re-cut in parts due to switchbacks etc.
Any thoughts/observations appreciated before we once again head off into ‘the unknown’ (...and don't bite off more than we can chew...bikes and riders are no longer spring chickens...the 'devil may care' days of our youth since passed!)

Thanks, Kerry.
Ps. Have added a few pics of AMTRA rides around Licola area ‘back in the day’! (Circa 1975/76)

Butcher Country

On the Howitt Plains at top of Butcher Country on my trusty old Bultaco Alpina

Looking back down Butcher Country

Paul Ewbank, Ossa SDR, on Butcher Country

David Baxter, Yamaha RT2, crossing Macalister River below Butcher Country Tck

Laurie Power, PE 250,  crossing Macalister River below Butcher Country Tck

Dingo Hill...Norm Watts' Howitt Devastator Enduro (Bultaco Matador Mk5)

Dingo Hill...Norm Watts' Howitt Devastator Enduro ...Roger Bowden on Suzuki RL250 Trials

Crossing the Caledonia River...Greg Williams' Matador Mk5

Helipad on Billy Goat Bluff Tck twds the Pinnacles...Leigh Bradstreet on left.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serge C, Jeff Grogan

Track Conditions Around Licola...? 29 Jan 2023 19:40 #36272

• Tim D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 272
I haven't been into those tracks in a few years but doing the stuff between Abbeyard and Dargo a fair bit in the past years I'm going to say you'll be fine out there Kerry. Those tracks hold up fairly well to traffic in the High Country.

One thing about the last year is the amount of rain we had, there may be a bit of erosion from that.

Whatever you find out there it just adds to the adventurer!

P.S. Thanks for the fantastic photos.
Last Edit: 29 Jan 2023 19:41 by Tim D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kerrywill

Track Conditions Around Licola...? 30 Jan 2023 20:13 #36273

• alex peacock
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Dingo hill was rehashed quite a few years ago 5 or 6 years ago Caledonia river track was pretty enjoyable butcher country had a couple of pretty loose rock sections all good fun though wombat spur a bit chewed up on the Wonnangatta end Humphrey river is a bit rutted after some of the crossings water spur mount Sarah whites and pennies all good .most tracks are pretty good at the moment erosion mounds have copped a flogging on steeper tracks but still rideable

Track Conditions Around Licola...? 31 Jan 2023 20:27 #36276

• Timo200
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
A handfull of my mates did dingo hill, caladonia river and butcher country last weekend and they are in good Nic at the moment. 
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds