Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: AMTRA Early Days...way back when....

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 04 Sep 2018 18:10 #27395

• kerrywill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36

Wonnangatta 2 Day Ride, 1978
Wonnangatta 2 day rides were an club annual event inNov/Dec. My first couple were led by Leigh Bradsteet, ’73 &’74 (75?). In those days this was ‘ pioneering’ stuff, (all fuel, food, camping gear etc carried on the bike/rider, maps a bit sketchy, no GPS or phone apps!) then I led the annual ride I after that. This 1978 Wonnangatta ride was the last club ride I led. We rode from Breakfast Creek, over the Pinnacles, Billy Goat Bluff, crossing the Wonnangatta at Neates’ farm on the Crooked River road. The river level was UP!!! This necessitated ‘carrying’ the bikes across each crossing. This was achieved by a thick branch through the rear wheel with 2 riders lifting the back wheel and 2 on the handlebars. Several of the crossings were waist deep or deeper! On a couple of the river crossings a ‘human chain’ was needed to assist the crossing of each bike due to the strong current. (see pic) From recollection I think at least one rider/wag may have stripped down for one of the crossings!
(possibly visible in the background) We never made it to the Wonnangatta Station on the first day due to the river being up, camping for the night a couple of crossings short. Ian Robinson’s Ossa had died near the Pinnacles so
we had ‘parked it in the bush and he continued with his brother Drew in his soft top Nissan Patrol. A lasting image for me is on the final crossing where we camped, the Nissan drowned and stranded half way across with Ian exiting
(swimming) out through the window. Next day we rode into the station (drowned my Ossa Super Pioneer on the last crossing before the station. (...thought it could make it but near seat depth was a bit too much!) Crossings on way out
weren’t as bad being upstream. My brother Greg’s Ossa Six Days conked halfway up the steep, rocky old Wonnangatta jeep track (CDI/Motoplat…not unheard of) and it got carried out on the bullbar of an accompanying F100 4wd driven by Ian’s other brother. My memory has dimmed a bit on the finer points so other participants may have something to add! Speaking to Don Britt at Harrow this year, he still has ‘fond’ memories of the ’78 ride.
AMTRA riders on the ride from memory (a few still active) included Ian Robinson, Don Britt, Bruce Dryburgh, Ian Robinson, Bill Canters, Adrian Vanderschoot, Greg Williams, John Campbell, Jack Comerford, John Maddock, David
Baxter and a few others I can’t recall…although they would recall the ride!
Pic1- Greg Williams and David Baxter and Yamaha RT2 360,   pic 2 - John Maddock, Bill Canters, Greg Williams, David Baxter and Bruce Dryburgh and pic 3-  'a team effort'
(still coming to grips with the finer points of posting pics in the Forum! cursor has a mind of its own!)

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 04 Sep 2018 21:23 #27398

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Great stuff, love these old photos and stories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kerrywill

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 04 Sep 2018 21:47 #27399

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
WOW!
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 05 Sep 2018 17:22 #27410

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
I remember the ride clearly. I remember all our food and sleeping gear floating the back of the Nissan and a very cold night sitting by the fire as everything was wet. Gregs bike was tied to the Nissan Bull bar on the way out and I remember leaving my wallet in the Nissan glove box and only remembering on Monday when I went to recover my bike. I did not have enough fuel in the car to get past Licola store so my father had to drive my wallet back to Licola on Monday after work so I could pay for fuel  (no credit cards in those days).
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2018 17:23 by Ian Robinson.

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 05 Sep 2018 19:22 #27412

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Gee, you're a shook, Robbo !

Harden up and take it like a man.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 06 Sep 2018 10:08 #27423

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Good stuff Kerrydid keep em coming.

And a start from Robbo with some storys coming.

Check out the size of those back packs  :shock:
It's just more time to be flat out!

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 06 Sep 2018 10:18 #27424

• Chappa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
How good are Kerry’s photos I didn’t know they made Cameras that good back then Thanks for sharing them they are great

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 06 Sep 2018 13:01 #27426

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Great story and photos Kerry! I went to Wonnangatta over Easter that year, 1978, but in 4WDs not bikes. I was in a Suzuki LJ50 (2-stroke!) which was fine but the wheel track was much narrower than the ruts made by the bigger Landcruisers and Patrols, so we did most of the trip leaning over one way or the other and a bit worried about it falling over - but it never did.... Was wild and very isolated country back then, very few visitors compared to now...Cheers, Simon J.
Last Edit: 06 Sep 2018 13:03 by simonj.

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 06 Sep 2018 15:12 #27428

• Rob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Great stuff!!

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 07 Sep 2018 17:37 #27447

• kerrywill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Robbo.....way back when...and still going...an AMTRA old hand!
I think  Ian joined the club in late '72, a few months before me. In those days I think he rode a yellow 250cc Kawasaki trail bike, and was possibly not quite 18!  If my  memory serves me correctly,  I first met Ian on John Burrows' Kalatha Camp club enduro in May '73, where we may have given each other a 'hand' getting to the top of the Mt Despair track on the second loop. (Ian may correct me on some/all of this, it was only nearly 45 years ago!) We were heavily involved with AMTRA in the 70's and  rode a lot together. In late 70's he moved on to a PE 250 after he'd had enough of  the Ossa motoplat/CDI ! ( although the Ossa 250's were 'the' enduro bike for a while.)

"Captain America" helmet days- Burgoyne Gap Track riding out from Cheyne's Bridge, Licola area, May '76.  (Club ride was led by Norm Watts from Maffra, Austn enduro legend!)

On the old Mt Clear jeep track, a long, steep rocky hill with a couple of rock steps, since closed.. Riding out of Sheepyard Flat on the Howqua River, May '77.

Another flat...at the Pinnacles, Dargo area, Sept '75

On the track maintenance, 'adjusting' the chain guide. (note the lump of wood!) On the Misery Trail out of Benambra/ Native Dog Flat en route to Davies Plain and Tom Groggin, Easter '76.

Near Mt Lovick looking towards the Bluff, May '77

No more 'Captain America' helmet - a club ride at Jumbuck south of Morwell. May '77

and...another  '78 Wonnangatta River crossing at Neate's farm on the Crooked River Road...'twas deep! (meant to include this last time but 'uploading' issues!)

John Maddock, Bill Canters, Greg Williams, Bruce Dryburgh and David Baxter...and David's 360 Yam.   

ps. trivia- the 'Why AMTRA" article from Trail and Track article I posted (pg 1) was the final  prompt for me joining the club in March '73.  Colin Boyd who I knew, was an early AMTRA member  and he had been prodding  a mate and I  to get  out and do some real trail riding.  (Col rode a Bultaco 250 Mk 2 Matador in those days and I had a Bultaco 360cc El Montadero at the time, a brute of a bike that I used to ride on the road!) 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Robinson, Mat R, Rob, Al, simonj, Chappa
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds