Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: My bikes

My bikes 11 Jun 2018 18:02 #26422

• Dr. Peter
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Started writing about things Yamaha but realised many of the machines I have owned weren't Yamahas and weren't even dirt bikes. I am hoping forum members might like an opportunity to recall those bikes that were a part of their lives. 

Here's my two cents:

A DT125E Yamaha was the first bike I ever owned. It was brand new on hire purchase. I was 16 and working
(car detailer) and  pretty sure Mum went guarantor. At the time the mates all said let's get bikes and I was first, I bought the traily and they all got road bikes. Doh! That 350 Honda 4 that my mate Phil bought was freakin' awesome and convinced me I needed four cylinders.

I bought a Kawasaki Z650 four cylinder and that bike was amazing.

There was a Suzuki Apache 400 in there briefly which was like riding an on-off switch.

Then there was a  R900 BMW. I went on my honeymoon on the beemer. After riding at about 140 kmh for a bit the header pipes would glow so bright you could light a rolly off them. 

Then I went sidecar and Russian with a 650 MT-9 Dnepr. It was like a tractor
- even had reverse and advance retard lever on the handlebars. I learnt a lot about maintenance.....

Had a restored Yamaha XS650 - it was like riding a road drill but sounded awesome.

I restored an R5 Yamaha 350 road bike out of a crate - no reed valves just piston ported. Lots of two stroke smoke

There was a half restored and rideable Kawasaki 250 triple - even more smoke but it went like shitoff a shovel.

I had a go at making an ex-police Honda CB750 go for longer than 10 minutes.

My next new bike was Kawasaki GT550 shaft drive which I bought to long distance commute. It was a fabulous bike which I
owned for more than 10 years. Did all sorts on that bike even dirt roads. Kangaroo Island is a memory.

Then it was cars and a brief dabble with a Kawasaki Z750 twin. That WAS a road drill!

And we come to now:

Bought the Suzuki Boulevard 650 cruiser thing 'cause I liked the look of it but was umming and arrhing about dirt bikes. So I bought the 02 DT175 Yamaha and joined AMTRA. The sound of that bike took me back 40 years in an instant. 

Since then, I bought the TY250 Yamaha trials which I am riding a lot at practice days and in competition. 

Just got another, older,  DT175 which I hoped to set up for Vinduro. It is all drum-braked.

However, the trials stuff takes up a lot of time and I might just ride the TY at Vinduro events that are on private property occasionally. So I have an extra drum braked DT. 

Love to hear your stories...
Bikes are a lot of fun and the technology has moved on a shit load since I started and even more since Ken began on a 
DT1.
Peter Farrell
2017 Suzuki S40 Boulevard (cruising) - loned out
2006 Kawasaki KLE 500 (adventure) - loned out
1989 Suzuki TS 250 X (vinduro)
1986 Honda Goldwing 1200
1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
1976 TY250 (twin shock trials and officiating)
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018 18:03 by Dr. Peter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds