Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Which riding memory has been your most memorable?

Which riding memory has been your most memorable? 26 Aug 2019 21:57 #30621

• Tim D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 271
Ken R wrote:
Sorry guys but, how do I put a photo up again?

The same as we did before but now we use https://imgur.com/ to host the photos.

Set yourself up an account there, upload your photos, copy the link and go for it Ken.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which riding memory has been your most memorable? 01 Sep 2019 17:07 #30643

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
It's just more time to be flat out!

Which riding memory has been your most memorable? 01 Sep 2019 17:18 #30644

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137

So text before pic down load, OK.

Above would be out Eildon way in 1973/74 with Helen getting some time on the dirt with her DT2 complete with "Hell" plate. I would be on a fire breathing RT1. Until you put 2 head gaskets in they were a killer to start with kick backs. The lower comp also meant they didn't compression stall every time you closed the throttle going down hill on the dirt. Trust Helen to get some flowers in.

Pic below would be at Moorooduc quarry in 1968 demonstrating the awesome power of the just released DT1 Yamaha. This bike transformed the off road scene all around the world and without it I don't think AMTRA would have happened.

Riding the DT1 was really memorable - my first dirt bike - so much to learn - loved it.
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 01 Sep 2019 17:46 by Ken R.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Al

Which riding memory has been your most memorable? 05 Sep 2019 11:56 #30661

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Great photos, keep 'em coming Ken!

Which riding memory has been your most memorable? 06 Sep 2019 19:09 #30664

• andianjul
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
You never forget your first! Steve Winstone's Narbethong ride. It was wet, super-slippery, orange/brown clay. I was on a 1983 TS185. In fact, every AMTRA ride I went on, on the TS were 'memorable' for one reason or another. Another time, we rode out of Cam's place at Tolmie, down 'nuts' track - a heavily-rutted black slippery sucker. I was quicker (because it was downhill) than another bloke on a 'better' bike - probably one of those newfangled XR400's. Anyway, when we got to the first regroup the idiot on the 'better' bike wanted to punch me in the face for being quicker than him, when I, "...shouldn't have been, since I was riding that piece of shit Suzuki TS!" Thankfully, a couple of other blokes talked him down.
‘16 Sherco SEFR450, ‘98 Yamaha WR200
"You're the dumbest smart person I know"

Which riding memory has been your most memorable? 21 Sep 2019 08:15 #30796

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Like most people nearly every ride has been awesome, the combination of like minded people, great bikes, great trails, life long friendships formed, so many memories but the stand out was my 1st AMTRA ride, as a level 1 gumby { and before you say it Al Mason, gradually improved and now a Level 1 plus Gumby} I think it was mothers day in 2007 or 2008 I set of on a Phil Randle level 1 / 2 ride out of Toolangi on my XR600, I think the bike was well prepared, I was not,  I started with a big jacket because it was cold, thick warm pants again because it was cold after about 10klms I think I picked the bike up 10 times and off with the jacket, as the day went on it got better and better but after lunch the throttle cable snapped, this is where the day got even better and why I joined AMTRA and why I have put so much back into AMTRA over the years, the likes of Phil and Wade, Chris Macran and a few others who's names I have forgotten all teamed together to swap the push cable with the pull for a little bit of throttle and worked out the flattest route back and babysat me all the way back to the cars, helped me load the bike and made sure I was good to drive. But the whole day like this, picking me up of the ground more times than can remember, riding my bike up and over stuff, helping others with similar lack of riding abilities incl 1st aiding, it was then I new I was with the right bunch of guys to go adventuring with. People have come and gone from this club and some even come back, we do some things wrong but we do a hell of a lot right, we look after each other extremely well, this is our culture and I hope it never changes. 
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds