Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 07:44 #13482

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Many of you would have heard me talk about how impressed I am with the Dunlop Geomax MX51 tyres and Tubliss tyre inserts on many occassion's.
A few years back I started running the Geomax and loved them from day 1, however Pirelli Scorpions where on special at one stage so I purchase 4 of them and went away from the Dunlops for a period. However as I like to run really low pressures on the rear, normally 6 to 8 psi I found the Pirelli rear carcase was inclined to delaminate on the inside and stringing out causing the ultra heavy duty tubes to puncture and of coarse shortening the life of the tyre. { I was having to throw them away with 50% tread left on them}
Anyway early this year I decided that I would give the Tubliss inserts a try on the rear as I thought it would eliminate the chance of a string out puncture in the future and since I had ran out of new Pirelli's and now had Dunlops hanging in the shed I fitted up a Dunlop. Now the work instructions for fitment of the Tubliss inserts are relatively precise on how it should be done, with the stiff Dunlop carcase I found it was near impossible to do it their recommended way so I threw most of their instructions away and with lots of WD40 did it my own way.
Now this is what I can report. This is the tyre I destroyed at Valencia Creek which had done around 1000klm and had never had a conventional tube in it.
As you can see by the photos not 1 string hanging out and although the outside is completely shagged the inside is perfect, now some might say it is due to Dunlop building the best carcase, I actually think it is from the 100psi 360 degree rim lock of the Tubliss severely reducing the amount of side wall flex when using with low air pressure.
So far touch wood {as I touch my head} not one puncture, I did fit a new $10 rim lock tube to the Tubliss when I was fitting up the replacement Dunlop as they say every 12mths of so many klm's, it had been in their for at least 9 mths so better to be safe than sorry I think.
So their you have it guys get onto the Tubliss inserts and by the way the newer Dunlop AT81 which you can by standard or with a reinforced carcase apparently are the ducks guts. We have a front one currently fitted to Hamo's 300 and can report it is a great front tyre but with no sign of tyre specials yet I will wait a bit longer to try them on my bike.
Attachments:
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
Last Edit: 22 Dec 2015 07:54 by Willbar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 10:02 #13483

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Thanks for that interesting info Will, makes ya think about it, How much for the Tubliss inserts.?
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 11:25 #13485

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
The insert kits are up to about $165 each but a couple of times a year Torpedo 7 have them on special, and I just bought a spare rear kit for $99.00. I might even put them in the front 1 day but again touch my head never had a front flat only rear flats.
Spare rim tape and rim lock tube etc are dirt cheap only a few bucks each. 
Tyre plug kits for puncture repairs are not expensive, I still carry a spare front tube and rear rim lock with just in case but hopefully I never need them.
I must admit it was farkin hard to fit the 1st time but now I know how to do it best for me, it was easier than feeding an ultra heavy duty tube into a tyre on a rim.
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frankieboy

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 12:58 #13486

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
I reckon it's good idea for people that are unlucky to get flats a lot, there was a bloke in the MCRCV that would have loved to have the Tubliss inserts, when we raced enduro's he would get a flat at just about every meeting, he was a very fast rider, hit every thing that was in front of him, rocks, sharp edged holes ect ect, as they say, punctures are in ya head, pick ya lines, Will I'm not saying that you don't pick ya lines, I pick my lines as well & have had the add flat, being a poor pensioner I think I'll stick to the h-duty tubes.

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 13:22 #13487

• Evo
Some great information there Will thanks for posting your article :)

Will gets 3 clubman points for each article like this or ride report and your helping out fellow club members with your experince. Well worth it.  

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 13:25 #13488

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Frankieboy wrote:
I reckon it's good idea for people that are unlucky to get flats a lot, there was a bloke in the MCRCV that would have loved to have the Tubliss inserts, when we raced enduro's he would get a flat at just about every meeting, he was a very fast rider, hit every thing that was in front of him, rocks, sharp edged holes ect ect, as they say, punctures are in ya head, pick ya lines, Will I'm not saying that you don't pick ya lines, I pick my lines as well & have had the add flat, being a poor pensioner I think I'll stick to the h-duty tubes.
Frankie I'm actually hoping that if I get full use of my rear tyre plus never having to buy another rear ultra heavy duty tube at $50 the costs will balance out.

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 15:54 #13489

• Peter R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Top info Willy, I run Kenda tyres, cos I reckon after you knock the edge off em, they're all the same. 
And i get a couple of rides out of a  Rear and a year out of the front, and best of all they are cheap as chips.

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 15:54 #13490

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
You could be onto something there Will, I like ya thinking mate. :)

Last Edit: 22 Dec 2015 15:55 by Frankieboy.

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 15:58 #13491

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
Peter R wrote:
Top info Willy, I run Kenda tyres, cos I reckon after you knock the edge off em, they're all the same. 
And i get a couple of rides out of a  Rear and a year out of the front, and best of all they are cheap as chips.

Chips aren't cheap Pete :)

Dunlop Geomax & Tubliss 22 Dec 2015 19:50 #13496

• seano
  • Platinum Boarder
  • liv'n the moty life
  • Thank you received: 30
I run pirelli xc , I only get 4 to 5 hundred k’s out of them cos I actually use the throttle,, I also have a ultra heavy tube Ive had since I put it in when I got the bike 3 years ago,  :D
I just wanna ride me moty B)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds