Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Toys

Toys 27 Apr 2015 20:16 #9801

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
As a young fella (back in 1976/77) I was bitten by the skateboard bug.  Armed with my poxy little board, I headed to the local pool (pool skating was just emerging as a new 'sport') to try my luck.  I watched the 'big boys' do it, and when my turn came, I face planted into the wall and nearly broke my nose!  Not a good way to start.  :(

I kept trying (and failing) to pilot my board around this new, tricky terrain until one day I arrived early (and solo) and started chatting with one of the 'big boys' who was also there early and on his own.  He had a spare board with him and offered me a ride.  i launched into the pool, started my carve, transitioned up onto the wall and carved like a pro!  The difference?  A set of trucks that were stable and sure-footed, with excellent turning characteristics and no wobbles (Tracker Mid-tracks), a set of wheels that were fast and super grippy (Road Rider 4's) and a long, wide ply wood deck, that allowed a good open stance and a kick-tail that allowed lifting of the front wheel.

Nowadays, in this time of 'everything-old-is-new-again', those old components are available again and I've built the board I would have killed for back then.

Tracker Mid-track trucks were re-issued under request from Stacey Peralta when he directed the 'Lords Of Dogtown' film a couple of years ago.  These were the truck to have back then and Peralta approached Tracker to re-make some for the film.  Tracker agreed and made a few extras and soon found there were plenty of 'enthusiasts' like me that wanted a fresh set, so I recently got some.

Road Rider 4's.  One of the first urethane wheels to be moulded for skating, offering amazing grip and speed.  These are also re-issued, having the same characteristics as the originals, except for a nylon bearing mount embedded into the wheel.

Decks at the time were a mis-mash of home-made stuff, but a young, up-coming skater by the name of Tony Alva, started creating some beautiful decks and this was one of (if not the first) decks he produced.

The fished product.

At the time, you could only get this kind of board if you knew someone who was going to the States.  There was no real out-let for this kind of equipment.  It only took 38 years, but I now have my 'dream' skateboard, which will hang on the wall of my office, un-ridden.

It got me to thinking, how many of you guys have bought toys now, that you could never have afforded or dreamed of owning when you were young?
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Toys 27 Apr 2015 20:52 #9803

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Come on Serge - we gotta have just one photo of you riding down the drive, or even better passing a car down the road :up:
It's just more time to be flat out!

Toys 27 Apr 2015 21:00 #9804

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Ken R wrote:
Come on Serge - we gotta have just one photo of you riding down the drive, or even better passing a car down the road :up:

Nah, but how about a half-pipe shot from around 1980?

"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Toys 27 Apr 2015 21:54 #9805

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Come On - Cool Man - I had a crash hat exactly like that, still wanna see you coming down the drive though. :)

Toys 28 Apr 2015 09:32 #9812

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Attention Serge,

Do not ride the board, I just remembered Iceland :sick:

Toys 28 Apr 2015 17:29 #9829

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
nice afro wig

Toys 28 Apr 2015 17:30 #9831

• Dirtpilot
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 36
I just got a Vulcan automatic belt fed nerf machine gun. The dog is not happy.
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds