Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 19 Apr 2015 18:07 #9644

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Ok after completely wearing out a tyre every 2 to 3 rides over summer I started looking around for a summer tyre with better wear characteristics and found the MotoZ mountain hybrid as being promoted by my friend in the States Jeff Slaven in the attached video.
The last few weeks Ive been building a 2012 Berg TE250 into a 300 and set up the way I like my bikes with a Rekluse clutch and LH rear hand brake control steg pegs etc so as the bike was ready for a run so I thought I would fit this tyre for a test out at Valencia creek where I think it would have just about been the perfect test terrain for it.
However as luck has it Gaz had to cancel the Valencia Creek ride so I decided that Rawson was the go. I didn't give much thought to it being moist their till Friday and at what point I thought in for a penny in for a pound so of to Rawson I ventured yesterday to track test the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid. 
Drive in the slippery clay was awesome, not so good on the steep clay decants as I think the knobs may have been hanging onto the clay and turning it into a slick as it did not install as much down hill braking confidence as Im use't too. 
I had to hop a log at one point and the drive grip to launch the bike was great. Traction generally was the best I've felt as long as you had good pace and momentum and I was even finding it to be so much I was having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground, however my self and even Pommy Mat had a go at it, we found a weak point, I go stuck on a steep rock bedded section that was very damp and it was almost impossible to get going from a standing start and even the roll back away from the object it would just light up the back tyre like a well trained P plater in a drift car. The over all wear for the day of 110klms was not even measurable so it most likely will be the go for a summer tyre and or woodside tyre but not winter in the damp rocks or wet mud. 
I hope this helps anyone considering them.
PS. The ride through the creaks on the wet slippery rocks it was awesome and the same launching out of them.

It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2015 18:19 by Willbar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 21 Apr 2015 06:09 #9670

• Trevor b
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi Will,

Do you use the Rekluse lhrb setup? If so do you find it provides enough power for good rear braking?
I wouldn't mind trying out this setup myself but I've seen a few complaints about the rekluse brake not being strong enough. I beleive its also possible to use the clutch master cylinder for the rear brake, do you know anything about this?

Cheers

Trev

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 21 Apr 2015 11:22 #9673

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Trevor b wrote:
Hi Will,

Do you use the Rekluse lhrb setup? If so do you find it provides enough power for good rear braking?
I wouldn't mind trying out this setup myself but I've seen a few complaints about the rekluse brake not being strong enough. I beleive its also possible to use the clutch master cylinder for the rear brake, do you know anything about this?

Cheers

Trev
Hi Trev
on the KTM I have the rekluse LHRB, love it, on the berg I have fitted a Snake brake LHRB bought out of England on ebay less money and a better product, easier to fit and much easier to use clutch as well but bearing in mind that once you set the brake up on the same angle as the front brake the clutch ends up being flat across the bars which makes it difficult to use, but with the rekluse can infact end up pointing upwards slightly.  If you are going to try it go the snake brake if available for your bike.
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 21 Apr 2015 20:23 #9681

• Trevor b
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks for the reply Will. Do you mean the brake from Smokn in the UK? I cant find anything for a Snake brake.

If its the Smokn one I see it uses a Hayes MTB master cylinder similar to what the Rekluse one uses. Do you find this provides enough power?  

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 21 Apr 2015 21:13 #9683

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Trevor b wrote:
Thanks for the reply Will. Do you mean the brake from Smokn in the UK? I cant find anything for a Snake brake.

If its the Smokn one I see it uses a Hayes MTB master cylinder similar to what the Rekluse one uses. Do you find this provides enough power?  
yep that's it plenty of power

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 21 Apr 2015 21:21 #9684

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Thanks Will, just swapped from the Bridgestone 404 110/100/18 to the Dunlop Geomax MX51 120/90/18. What a difference, loving the grip and longevity.
Last Edit: 22 Apr 2015 17:17 by lefty.

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 13 Dec 2015 08:34 #13331

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Well I re-introduced the MotoZ to the Berg for my summer ridding and yesterday's Neerim ride was the 1st on it again and can update on the following .
The pressure was set at 8psi {tubeliss of coarse}  LOTS and lots of grip, not normally experienced with my usual choice of knobby's in dry conditions.
Still a little bit of wheel spin in the loose shailee stuff but only 1 owe shit moment, lofting over stuff no problem, slowlee trying to move over large exposed tree roots was not good, had to make sure bike was weighted and with some momentum and over it went but no chance of crawling over it would just stop and wheel spin, back to my 1st gut feeling, this is going to be an awesome summer tyre and perhaps more than 1 summer. 

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 13 Dec 2015 08:49 #13332

• Timmers
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2019 HCR Coordinator
  • Thank you received: 48
I ran Bridgestone 404s on the rear all year round. For as long as I can remember. Such a mint tire. 1 tire would last all winter and then I would use that same tyre in Summer as I found I didn't need "fresh tires" in the summer as its dry and traction is not a issue.
if it was going to be wet I'd take it off and swap it over for a new one (or deal with the one that was on) then change it back to keep for the wet months.
Which means I was buying 1 rear per year and maybe 2 fronts, or sometimes I'd have to buy 2 sets in case i wanted to race which wasn't often.
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2015 08:53 by Timmers.

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 13 Dec 2015 08:57 #13333

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
Timmers wrote:
I ran Bridgestone 404s on the rear all year round. For as long as I can remember. Such a mint tire. 1 tire would last all winter and then I would use that same tyre in Summer as I found I didn't need "fresh tires" in the summer as its dry and traction is not a issue.
if it was going to be wet I'd take it off and swap it over for a new one (or deal with the one that was on) then change it back to keep for the wet months.
Which means I was buying 1 rear per year and maybe 2 fronts, or sometimes I'd have to buy 2 sets in case i wanted to race which wasn't often.
How many KLMs do you think you get out of it Timmers ?

MotoZ Mouintain Hybrid Tyre 13 Dec 2015 11:36 #13335

• Timmers
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2019 HCR Coordinator
  • Thank you received: 48
I wouldn't really know to be honest, but I'd say around the 600 - 800km mark. Doesnt take much to rack up Five or Six 70-100km winter rides, throw a couple of big high country's rides in and about then the tires pretty much done. 
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds