Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Good gear.

Good gear. 18 Jan 2018 08:08 #24371

• Scott200
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 54
Hello Dr Peter , As mentioned in a few posts please come along to one of AMTRA's Daylesford ride days and meet a variety of us members with an even wider variety of bikes ( and riding abilities ) . We definitely are not an Enduro type club that doesn't " win " but you need to see that for yourself . Also starting next month I will be leading a regular monthly Level 1 beginner type Trail ride down at Neerim South which sounds like it would suit you perfectly . This is why I will be running this level ride as I want to encourage old and new riders to the club just like you sir .  Please consider what I have said and keep an eye out on the ride calendar for this ride and others that might suit yourself . Look forward to meeting you soon and great to hear that you are back on a bike after so many years . Regards Scott
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Peter

Good gear. 18 Jan 2018 12:50 #24373

• Dr. Peter
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks, Scott. Neerim South sounds just my speed.
Peter Farrell
2017 Suzuki S40 Boulevard (cruising) - loned out
2006 Kawasaki KLE 500 (adventure) - loned out
1989 Suzuki TS 250 X (vinduro)
1986 Honda Goldwing 1200
1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
1976 TY250 (twin shock trials and officiating)

Good gear. 18 Jan 2018 15:43 #24376

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Dr. Peter wrote:
But I am serious, Frankie Boy. I am returning to riding dirt bikes after a break of 45 years and I have not kept up with the trends.

Even the variety of riding disciplines seems out of control now and the currently available protective gear has begun to resemble something like a medieval knight might wear, albeit in modern materials.

So in my naivety I ask my question. And with the benefit of their hard-won experience, the forum members answer. Their intentions are good and I appreciate that, I truly do, but my response is - no. This is not how I want to ride as I come back to dirt bikes, older, wiser, and more fragile. What you (AMTRA) describe seems like an enduro event, but without the benefit of 'winning'. All this gear, it seems too extreme but the collective wisdom of the group says not. Its not gentle easy trail riding as far as I can tell.

I still have my DT175 but, just so you know, I recently bought a TY250. No one kicks rocks at me in a section. The courses through a section are graded for [in]ability.

I rode in a trials event once and had never done so much damage to a bike in one day of "so called gentle" riding.

Fell off boulders, upside down in a creek, side ways off wet logs  etc etc. I was glad I had my trail riding gear on.

The guys you see in TV trials events are the best of the best and hardly make a mistake, or if they do they know it's going to happen and bail out safely early.

Dr Peter - trail riding or trials riding - get safety equipment - be prepared - enjoy.
It's just more time to be flat out!

Good gear. 18 Jan 2018 19:13 #24380

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Scott200 wrote:
Hello Dr Peter , As mentioned in a few posts please come along to one of AMTRA's Daylesford ride days and meet a variety of us members with an even wider variety of bikes ( and riding abilities ) . We definitely are not an Enduro type club that doesn't " win " but you need to see that for yourself . Also starting next month I will be leading a regular monthly Level 1 beginner type Trail ride down at Neerim South which sounds like it would suit you perfectly . This is why I will be running this level ride as I want to encourage old and new riders to the club just like you sir .  Please consider what I have said and keep an eye out on the ride calendar for this ride and others that might suit yourself . Look forward to meeting you soon and great to hear that you are back on a bike after so many years . Regards Scott

Good to see you having a go at leading some rides Scott, beginners, level one riders at Neerim South, my thoughts on that is, it's far too busy there, lots of riders with big ego's racing around there will frighten the new riders when they pass them  at speed, I think a area with less riders racing around is what I'd be looking fore, that's just my opinion.
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds