Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Which riding memory has been your most memorable?

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 28 May 2016 20:46 #16642

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Ian Robinson wrote:

Not quite a riding memory but to do with riding. Before O ring chains the best chain care was to boil your chain in a grease compound. I used to use Duckams. A semi solid horrible black grease that melted at low temp. The tins were around 300 mm diameter and around 70 mm high with a handle to carry it. I was melting this on my mothers new stove in the kitchen but when it was done the chain had moved to one side and the tin was unbalanced. When I picked it up the  whole lot tipped out into the new stove. It took days to get it all out from the nooks and crannies as it solidified quite quickly. I was not popular for quite a while after that. 

That brought back memories Ian, I think everybody used that Duckams, I used to cook my chain on my camp stove out side, I don't know how you got away with cooking ya chain in side, from memory it had a bad smell when it got hot, I never liked it much, I found that if you had a warn chain, when I say warn I mean still usable warn, I found I had to adjust the chain before I cooked it, because when the grease cooled down & sets it would take up the wear in the chain, putting the chain back on the bike always felt to tight, but after riding it would push the grease out & then end up at the right tension again, I ended up using the good old sump oil :)  
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 29 May 2016 14:23 #16650

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
The bike is all washed & sitting under the sun drying :)
When you've just been out on the bike & then washing it brings back some memory's of the different things I've done to do with bikes.

This story is about something that I've done that I don't ever want to do again.

Many years ago my brother entered a couple of enduro's before I got into it, this story is about when brother Tony rode the Alpine enduro put on by Norm Watts with the help of the Maffra/ Sale mcc, my brothers 250cc Ossa broke down in the snow, yes you read right bloody snow, Norm would have been happy with that, because Norm likes his events hard, the harder the better, I've done a few of his enduro's none of them have been easy, he would put things in like having to ride 2 km up the bloody river, no joke, before we had to do that, when we got to the river he put some railway sleepers along the river bed to get to where you could ride through the water, I saw a rider slip of that man made bridge & into the river, he & his bike almost went completely under water, other riders & myself included  then got off our bikes & walked it to where it was safe to get back on :)
Haha it was funny, Kel from my club asked at the next check point if there's anymore river crossings they said    yes, he then asked witch way back to the cars.....This is  F*** bullshit :) I did finish that event, I did agree with everyone else that that there was no need to put us through the river, the riding was hard enough as it was.

Sorry I ran off topic a bit, it's so easy to do when there's so many story's to tell :)
Getting back to my brother's broken down bike, the sweep riders got him out of there but he had to leave his bike there, he had to leave his bike there all week parked up against a tree in the snow, he had work commitments nothing he could do about it, he asked his mate with a Toyota land cruiser if he could go in there with him to get his bike, yeah no worries he said, he said that he will bring his wife & two kids along & make a day off it & have a picnic, then the blokes brother thought it to be a good idea so he was in as well, he had a Toyota land cruiser long wheel base tray, then his mate with a land river wanted to  join in as well, all these people going had a making of a great day out in the bush, so my brother asked me if I wanted to come with him I was in two minds about going, when he said that you can throw ya bike in the back of the ute & have a ride once we get there, I didn't have to think about that for to long.:)

So Saturday morning at about 6am we headed off through Noogee & then through Matlock & then to somewhere in the Aberfeldy area, it had been raining through the week, it was cold & wet, they had studied the map to see which was the shortest way to get in there to where the bike was, when we arrived to the river that's where my brother would leave his ute & I could ride from there on my very first KTM 175cc, as I was riding behind them when they turned off the road into a track that was a bit steep down hill, they went a bit side ways, seeing that I was happy I wasn't in it :) it didn't take long before we got to the first river crossing, that water was bloody cold, I found out after I had to pick up my bike in the middle of the river :) that was bad enough, it was raining as well, it never stopped raining all bloody day.

It didn't take that long to get to where the bike was, all the trouble started when we were making our way back out off there, Graham with his short wheel base was ok, his brother with his long wheel base & my brothers bike on the back had a lot of trouble, Graham had to use his winch to get him up some of the hills that was slow going, but to make matters worse, his mate with the land rover had tyres on that should should have been replaced a long time ago, the winch was needed to get him up as well, while this was going on it was pissing down, did I mention that it never stopped all bloody day, by this time it was getting late, I felt sorry for Graham's wife & kids, they were very good, we never got  to have our picnic, I found out first hand how much fun you can have out in the bush in a 4x4    NOT    By the time we got back to the road we still had one more short steep hill to get up on to the road, this was the hardest part of the trip to get  in there & back out, Graham had to use his winch to get the other two up on to the road, the road wasn't very wide, he couldn't park up on the road to use the winch, because he was blocking the road, so the only thing to do was run the cable around the tree across the road & down to his brother's long wheel base Toyota, it was dark by now still raining, we were all very happy when we got 2 off the three 4x4's up on the road, now the land rover with the stuffed tyres to go, the bloke driving it said, it's getting late & that he would give it a go with out using the winch, we were all standing up on the road fingers crossed & hoping that this nightmare would be history  soon, all we could see the lights from his land rover darting through the trees, he had a good run but no cigar,down again for another run,  no cigar for the 2nd run, he said I'll have one more try, he went back down which was slow going a dangerous, by this time we were all getting a bit pissed off bloody hungry & cold, ok he was ready for his 3rd run by the sound of the amount of reves he was putting out he had it flat to the floor & never took it off, we were all standing there cold & Hungary thinking out loud, he was going well util he lost traction & lost some momentum & we thought it wasn't going to happen, then he found some grip & kept it going, we were all saying yes, no yes no  when he did get up on the road we all yelled & cheered, by this time it was around midnight......As I've said I never ever want to spend a day like this again.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 29 May 2016 16:11 #16651

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 31 May 2016 22:07 by Ken R.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 29 May 2016 16:19 #16652

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Ken R wrote:
OMG I did it - Ye Haa

"

Not quite
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 29 May 2016 19:05 #16657

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
Ken R wrote:
OMG I did it - Ye Haa

Well thats me of course on the way to Lake Tali Karn (spelling?) back when you could. Lots of water to cross which was great fun for all us newbie trail riders. Stopped for lunch, but some of us just couldn't stop having fun.

Those early rides were just so exciting, everything was new, the bikes, the terrain, the how to. 

My lunch, water and spares would have been in the bag strapped on the back which was borrowed from the Honda 450 road bike.

I never purchased a car until 1970 when I started racing and needed to transport the bike, oh yeh - I had also discovered the "Drive In"

My brothers & our family's used to camp at the day picnic area before it was a picnic area every Xmas for quite a few years years, just up the road over the bridge & along the river to the crossing then you were at the start to the track that went past the turn off to the cromemite mine to the top & then you could walk down to the lake Tali Karng,  after I walked down with my two brothers the first time I said that i will never walk down there again, I've been there three times :) 15 river crossings, big boulders in the bottom of them, yeah we have drowned the bikes there lots of times, after they closed that track, we then camped at Paddy Lee's crossing.

static.panoramio.com/photos/large/6211497.jpg

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 29 May 2016 19:33 #16659

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
The finish to the 2015 Ezberg Hare Scramble when they had to work as one to get up that last section to finish in time
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 29 May 2016 22:59 #16662

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 30 May 2016 07:21 #16664

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Ken R wrote:
What are you doing Kenneth?

Give me a call.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 30 May 2016 08:17 #16665

• flipper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63

Works fine for me...:)
Last Edit: 30 May 2016 08:18 by flipper.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 30 May 2016 08:44 #16666

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
Ram your technology, I'm going bike riding :angry:

The pic was posted the first time and disappeared before you lot looked.

The second time it was there I turned the site off and came back and it was still there - go figure - now wheres the bike ride to today :) 
Last Edit: 30 May 2016 08:47 by Ken R.
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds