Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Which riding memory has been your most memorable?

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 06:45 #16554

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Great photo Simon. Pretty sure I knew the guy riding the TY250. Colin Hammond from memory. Very quick rider on what was essentially a trials bike. Ossa SDr, Bultaco Matador, may be an Alpina and an early Yamaha in the photo. I had a Kawasaki F11 at that time. better than the Yamaha of the day but occasionally it had a habit of starting backwards which caused a bit of surprise when you let the clutch out.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
Last Edit: 27 May 2016 07:29 by Ian Robinson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 07:08 #16555

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Ian, just like a good vinduro! I remember there was a guy on a Yamaha SC500 cursing and swearing when it kicked back hard while he was trying to start it... and a guy on a Yammie RT 3  who rode off the edge of a cliff on the main road, when I came round again on the second lap they were hauling his bike back up to the road on ropes! I have no idea who ran the event or even how we knew about it... It was two long trail loops with a timed section back to the old sand pit at the top of Frenchman's Spur Track... very exciting for a 15yo!
Would you believe it, I have a short piece of 8mm film of this event! I'm having it converted to digital and will post soon....!  GoPro...phttt - nothing new!!

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 07:24 #16556

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
simonj wrote:
Ken, Frankie, Ian and others - any photos out on the trail?

Most of  my photos of that time were slides. I cant be bothered scanning them to the computer.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 08:26 #16557

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Ian Robinson wrote:
simonj wrote:

Most of  my photos of that time were slides. I cant be bothered scanning them to the computer.

Well, give them to me and I'll scan them!

I think it's important to keep this kind of 'pictorial' history, of both the club and riding in general.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 10:34 #16560

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Ian Robinson wrote:
Great photo Simon. Pretty sure I knew the guy riding the TY250. Colin Hammond from memory. Very quick rider on what was essentially a trials bike. Ossa SDr, Bultaco Matador, may be an Alpina and an early Yamaha in the photo. I had a Kawasaki F11 at that time. better than the Yamaha of the day but occasionally it had a habit of starting backwards which caused a bit of surprise when you let the clutch out.

Talk about a bike running backwards :)

cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/bultaco/imag...966c-Campera-175.jpg

My two older brothers & I bought a 175 Bultaco Campera for our first dirt bikes, ( I think I have posted the story up before about how  I ended up getting one these dirt bikes, we used to call them campie's :)  we picked the hardest area to learn on, not because we wanted to, it was because my brother John liked to do a bit of fishing, his idea was, if I had a dirtbike I could get to places that nobody would go & hopefully catch some big trout :) so off to Licola we went, we had never done off road riding & river crossings, hills & rocks, scary, scary stuff, after going out a few more times we were slowly getting the hang of it, I found out that by going down hills a bit faster then I'd been going it was easier, & that was by accident I got a bit out of control hitting some rocks the wrong way :)

The 3 of us couldn't get enough of riding, so after work we used to go to a place & get in some practice on hill climbing, we took it in turns going up & down that hill, yes we had a great time laughing at each other when we stuffed up, one of the runs John did up the hill he got into a bit of trouble & almost stalled the bike, then all of a sudden he flew backwards down the hill, faster then it would have rolled on it's own, after Tony & me picked John up at the bottom of the hill, we asked him what happened, we have never see anybody go down the hill backwards so fast, he said, I don't know, it seemed like I accelerated down the hill, with a laugh we said how could that happen, bikes don't go backwards, by now he was a bit pissed off & said........ well it did,........ after that we went home, some time later we were out for another ride & John was going to have a break/rest, he hit the kill switch but changed his mind & let go of the button, when he was starting to pull away the bike wanted to go backwards, he called us over he then said to Tony & me you blokes didn't believe me that the bike can & did go backwards, well look at this, it took of backwards :) it has never happened to Tony or me & has never happened to John again either :)  
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 16:53 #16590

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Over the years I have done a couple of trips, a little off the beaten track.    This was probably the most challenging and in the long term most remembered.      Google     Bam Road Siberia.
Enjoy,
Phil R.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 17:05 #16593

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
My Ossa in the Avon Wilderness area, before many tracks were declared a no go zone.

Last Edit: 28 May 2016 15:21 by Ian Robinson.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 17:46 #16601

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Ian Robinson wrote:
My Ossa in the Avon Wilderness when you could still ride on the good tracks.

still plenty of good tracks to ride in the Avon Wilderness 
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 21:51 #16614

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
Ian Robinson wrote:
My Ossa in the Avon Wilderness when you could still ride on the good tracks.

Bloody hell Ian, that Ossa was good, just peeled the Armco back and you were gone :D
It's just more time to be flat out!

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 27 May 2016 22:24 #16618

• Spoge
  • User is blocked
Serge C wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
simonj wrote:

Well, give them to me and I'll scan them!

I think it's important to keep this kind of 'pictorial' history, of both the club and riding in general.

Put the pics, and the yarns in a  book. I'll buy the first copy. 

Frankie, thought the story about the bloke with the tranny was gonna turn into a ghost story. I'm betting ya brother thought it was a ghost story for at least 10 years. Classic, Luv ya work!
Last Edit: 27 May 2016 22:26 by Spoge.
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds