Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Which riding memory has been your most memorable?

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 16:31 #16511

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Frankie I hardly spoke to him so may have got the wrong impression. I remember lining up at the spare parts desk on Saturday mornings, Peter Schoene was great, always tolerated my stupid questions! Yes I did buy the Frontera, I think it was same the day I first saw it!! I had more disposable income then than I have now!! And you're right... Terry was the vendor. The bike was like new except for a couple of flat-spots in the Akront rear rim.That's amazing, you rode that bike!! Was it you that flat-spotted the rim!?!?!!  I kept the Frontera for several years, it was very fast and just did everything so well. 

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 16:38 #16512

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder

Eventually I sold it and bought this.... I turned up at a VPMSC club enduro at Noojee and Clause Mueller, the benevolent dictator of the club, fell  about laughing... But it was a great bike too...

You can tell it's a rainy day and I haven't got much work to do... Cheers, Simon J.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 17:03 #16513

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
Ian, Spanish drum brakes....you would have paused at the top of any big hills with the Bultaco riders for an impromptu prayer meeting before bravely heading down the other side... My Matador had right side shifting,( your Pioneer too??),I would always forget which side the brake was on but the motto was, "If in doubt, stomp on everything!" Cheers, Simon J.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 17:21 #16514

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
simonj wrote:
Ian, Spanish drum brakes....you would have paused at the top of any big hills with the Bultaco riders for an impromptu prayer meeting before bravely heading down the other side... My Matador had right side shifting,( your Pioneer too??),I would always forget which side the brake was on but the motto was, "If in doubt, stomp on everything!" Cheers, Simon J.

Simon,
the Ossa had the gearlever on the left like the jap bikes. I rode quite a few Bultacos with the gear lever on the right. Made for some very interesting excursions into the scenery.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 18:53 #16529

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Ian Robinson wrote:
I wanted a 370 Frontera. Bert Flood could not of cared less when I went in to the shop to talk about them. I promptly went down to Sport and Road in South Melbourne and bought an Ossa Super Pioneer. I was not unhappy as the Ossa was a great bike. !00kg fully fueled, great torque and over 80 mph top speed. Only downsides were the Motoplat ignition and drum brakes which stopped working if it rained 100 kms away, far less ride through a river.

Haha Both of my brother's had Ossa's you are right Ian, get anywhere near water & they end up with no brakes, other then that they were a great bike.   
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.
Last Edit: 27 May 2016 09:35 by Frankieboy.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 18:57 #16530

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
I'm loving this!

More, more. :)
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 19:02 #16531

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
simonj wrote:
Frankie I hardly spoke to him so may have got the wrong impression. I remember lining up at the spare parts desk on Saturday mornings, Peter Schoene was great, always tolerated my stupid questions! Yes I did buy the Frontera, I think it was same the day I first saw it!! I had more disposable income then than I have now!! And you're right... Terry was the vendor. The bike was like new except for a couple of flat-spots in the Akront rear rim.That's amazing, you rode that bike!! Was it you that flat-spotted the rim!?!?!!  I kept the Frontera for several years, it was very fast and just did everything so well. 

No mate, I didn't ride fast enough to put flat spots in rims :) Terry was one of the regulars that rode with my brothers & myself, in those days we rode every weekend, Terry used to push that bike along pretty good, so i reckon he's the one that put the flat spots in there himself :) 

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 21:10 #16541

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
This story goes back to when I was 13/14 years old.

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...F7v3K0gxWenkddML5Ckg

My brother John had one of these bikes, a 250cc Puch made in Austra, they were a split single, two rods on one crank, they were easy to pinch, the key was in the top of the head light, the key was like a pin with a couple of groves in it, I think the groves were only there to keep it from falling out, anyway while my brother was at work with my old man I was sitting on his bike & thinking about the shape of the key, I thought if I pushed a match down there it might do the same thing as the key would do, so inside I went & got a match pushed it in the hole, it worked the light came on, all I had to do is keep it in there, so I jumbled the match in there with the spring loaded plastic cover that covered the key hole when the key was out, I gave it a kick it started, hell I quickly pulled the match out, so now I know how to get it going & it's been on my mind for a while, so one day I got enough Dutch carriage & take it for a spin, that was my first ride on a real bike other then when my brother thought me to ride his vespa scooter, it's his fault for teaching me to ride :) I took it for a ride a few times like every time I had the chance :) that was when we lived in Ararat, my brother wanted to buy a new bike, that was around the time when the Honda's came on the market, he was keen to buy a 250cc Honda super sport, he gave it a lot of thought & in the end he wasn't game to buy an unproven jap bike, so he ended up buying another 250cc Puch from Stan the scooter man in Elizabeth street city, I'm now 15 years old & we had mover to Mulwala nsw, I used to take the Puch for an outing every chance I got, one day my brother was out riding & the local copper pulled him over & said to him.....You're a funny bloke..... my brother asked why is that, the copper said, one day I see you out on the road & you give me a wave & then are times I see you & you ignore me, :) before my brother could say anything, the copper said if it's ya younger brother riding ya bike tell him not to :) that's when he found out I was having some fun on his bike :)

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 22:35 #16550

• simonj
  • Platinum Boarder
Ken, Frankie, Ian and others - any photos out on the trail?
Like Frankie I could't quite wait until I had a licence... In about 1974 I did my first enduro at Woods Point on my older brother's Ossa 250 Six Day... It was a fairly unofficial affair, luckily no-one asked to see my licence, I was only about 15 years old...That's me on the far side with the black full face helmet...Cheers, Simon J.

Which ridding memory has been your most memerible? 26 May 2016 23:00 #16552

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
simonj wrote:
Ken, Frankie, Ian and others - any photos out on the trail?
Like Frankie I could't quite wait until I had a licence... In about 1974 I did my first enduro at Woods Point on my older brother's Ossa 250 Six Day... It was a fairly unofficial affair, luckily no-one asked to see my licence, I was only about 15 years old...That's me on the far side with the black full face helmet...Cheers, Simon J.

I think I have a couple of photo's some where, if I find them I won't be able to post them up, all this posting of pic's on here goes over my head :) by the looks of the gear everybody is wearing it sure looks like as you said a unofficial affair :) 

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds